Lookin for some advice with Boat Insurance

Hachimo

Winter is winding down and before we know it we will be slammin browns in skinny water. Bought my new boat last August and ran it the remainder of the season without any insurance. Really don’t want to think of the “unthinkable” but it does happen and I want to get insurance on it just for the piece of mind. 
   Just ran a quote from progressive for an agreed value and they came back at $1400 per year. Seems expensive and they didnt ask if theres a layup or anything. I know an agreed value is more.  
   Whats some other companys I should look into and what do some of you guys pay? Any imput is greatly appreciated 

thanks

Mike

You'll probably need insurance coverage to get a slip and you want it for liability coverage just in case

Geico through Boat US

2001 26' PennYan

$401/yr

24,000 agreed value, 2500 on trailer, 5000 personal effects, 125 deductible

500,000 liability

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mudflat said:

You'll probably need insurance coverage to get a slip and you want it for liability coverage just in case

Geico through Boat US

2001 26' PennYan

$401/yr

500,000 liability

Excellant. Thank you. Thats what I’m lookin for.  Ive been in my slip a couple years without insurance, but there are some marinas that want to see insurance 

1 hour ago, mudflat said:

Geico through Boat US

2001 26' PennYan

$401/yr

500,000 liability

X2

This is the quote I just got from BoatUs. Seems whenener I go online and get a quote there all over a $1000. So I took sk8man’s (Les) advice and called an agent. Statefarm just gave me a quote of $580 for 25k replacement value. 300k liability.  Now I’m gettin somewhere.  Thank you fellas

Edited by Hachimo

55 minutes ago, Hachimo said:

This is the quote I just got from BoatUs. Seems whenener I go online and get a quote there all over a $1000. So I took sk8man’s (Les) advice and called an agent. Statefarm just gave me a quote of $580 for 25k replacement value. 300k liability.  Now I’m gettin somewhere.  Thank you fellas

Something wrong there. I have a charter insurance policy with a million liability through Boat US/Geico and pay less than that.

I highly recommend contacting Larry Goltz for boat insurance. Larry is an avid boater with a fleet of museum quality classic and antique boats he’s personally restored. He’s an independent agent so he can tailor a policy to your specific needs from a large number of companies he works with. He understands insuring newer and older boats with lots of high value gear aboard.

Lawrence C Goltz | Producer

The WAYNE OAKLAND Agency

Insurance Since 1954

619 Enterprise Drive, Suite 200

Oak Brook  IL  60523

Office:  (248)649-6006

[email protected]

Just remember that "Agreed Value" coverage protects just your boat if something bad happens but it's "Liability" coverage that protects

everything else that you own from the lawyers.

Make sure you are getting the right coverage not just the lowest price.

• Like 1

Just remember that "Agreed Value" coverage protects just your boat if something bad happens but it's "Liability" coverage that protects
everything else that you own from the lawyers.

Make sure you are getting the right coverage not just the lowest price.

Great advice. I might add to be careful of “ actual cash value “ coverage. The insurance companies idea of what your boat is worth will be far different than yours. Get agreed value or replacement cost

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 months later...

Has anyone noticed the Increase in your Insurance premium per year at BoatUS ? Mine increased $131.00. Last year I paid $473 for the year, This year it's $604 for the same coverage. I called them and was told it was because of the unusually high claims made in NY and NJ for the last year.

I called Urbanski and they wouldn't give a quote for just boat insurance. They wanted all or nothing. Their loss.

I went with my home/auto agency, Travelers. No complaints.

First year for boat insurance due to a 2021 slip at Bald Eagle so I can't compare previous years.

Not just about what could happen to you but based on the Marina you are in if your boat has lines break in a storm and damages someone else’s boat or you hit someone coming into the slip you will want to be protected there too - not hard to do several thousand dollars in damage to someone else’s boat and then have to pay the entire amount out of pocket...

Edited by AnglingAddict

• 5 months later...

I've been pretty happy with Boat USA/Geico. Had to get towed once and had another claim. Easy to deal with and very professional. Premium was reasonable compared to the rest.

i've had great service with boatus and geico. i had to be towed at geneva. it cost 600.00 but i didn't pay a dime. lost a wheel on my trailer on I-75 just south of cincy one night about 10:00 pm. called boat us and they sent a flatbed to haul my boat in. again it didn't cost me anything. busted a tire on my truck. didn't have a spare. boat us sent a truck with a new tire. he mounted the new tire and put it on the truck. i did have to pay everything up front. he charged me 175.00 for the tire and mounting it. but charged boat us 375.00 forb the service call. he dit have to drive about 10 miles.

i got around to putting insurance on my boat for the 1st time ever last yr with geico. it was an old boat so i only insured it for 4500.00 but it was the liability that i wanted. this yr i put a new bimini top on the boat. the old top laid down where this one just leaned back against the back posts. i forgot about the top and put the boat in the pole barn. but the new top didnt make it. it crashed on the pole barn overhead door. it bent the frame around breaking the side window and bending the window frame. geico came out and said a new windshield would cost 5000.00 alone. so he was going to total the boat. i bought it back from them for 675.00. i got a great 350 vortec, outdrive and trim pump for 675.00. it took them about a week to pay off but i got it with no trouble.

I’ve had Charter Lakes for a few years now. Unfortunately I had to file a claim this year when the boat next to me caught fire. It went flawlessly. Can’t stress enough to make sure you have an agreed upon value. Takes all the headaches out of it.