buying a boat in winter

General

Two years ago today my son and I picked up our current lake boat in New Jersey. No sea trial, didn’t even look under the shrink wrap. Bought it and trailered it home.
The boat has been fantastic, no regrets. IMG_0253.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I would want to hear it run.  Doesn't need to be a sea trial but have it fired up to temperature and shift the gears at least-unless it is some type of project that you know what you are getting into. 

Edited by MCF
  • Like 1

Hi,
Would you buy a boat in winter without having a tryout on the water

I bought my GLS22 in January of 2019 hadn’t been run in 8 years. Took the owners word it had been winterized. Took a BIG gamble But I bought it right. Could have parted it out and got my money back. Turned out to be a great buy. Took some TLC to get it up and running. But it’s been a great boat IMG_1542.JPG

• Like 1

Bought my current boat in Atlantic City New Jersey on Halloween 2015. Putted around the marina, wrote a check, put her on the trailer and drove her home. Price was right though and I knew there were likely going to be issues with the early 2000s yamaha four stroke (which finally reared their ugly head this year). If the price is right and you are prepared for possible costly repairs, send it!

IMG_7946.JPG

6 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Two years ago today my son and I picked up our current lake boat in New Jersey. No sea trial, didn’t even look under the shrink wrap. Bought it and trailered it home.
The boat has been fantastic, no regrets. IMG_0253.JPG

Yes, but not every boat is a Boston Whaler.

I bought my dock neighbors boat! Every time i walked past it, i drooled! He was in his early 80's and dealing with health issues. I heard he was going to sell it and I bought it the first day it was listed. I did have a survey done, but I knew the boat and didn't need a sea trial. '86 Tiara 3600. It now has approximately 4300 hours on it and has many hours of fishing left in her.IMG951811.jpgIMG952435.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi,
Would you buy a boat in winter without having a tryout on the water

Nope! Sea Trial and (if it's big enough) survey are a must. I'd also like to see a leak down or compression check on the engine(s).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Lake Ontario United mobile app