Big messed up steelhead

I came across this big steelhead on the SR today. At first she appeared dead picked her up took a pic and measured her 32 inches!..it then started to flop put her back in water and she took off. After laying motionless in inches of water. Anyone else ever see a steelhead like this? Or have any thoughts what may of happened??..I was wondering if maybe it’s from improper handling after being caught?..either way it’s a shame was a really big fish 

09401301-384F-4C67-9AEE-2C4BA45C0950.jpeg

3C0B7B94-3365-44AE-A3B2-9A717C134780.jpeg

I would expect it could be brought on in part from netting and handling and related removal of protective slime....seeing the head and in front of the tail make me suspicious of slime removal.  Not that it is anyone's intentional fault, rather just a potential consequence.  The less handling the better when possible but more a consequence of a popular fishery than anything else.  Some fish are caught more than others.  

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I always handle fish a little as possible. Fish alone a lot so very seldom get pics but when I do I put a glove on my tail hand. Now I’m wondering if that’s better or worse for slime removal. Regardless if  losing fish is good for stocking. I like to release fish because of the feeling I get watching them swim away. Hopefully to live on and grow. Was an eye opener for me. On the west coast I see a lot of guys use those cradle nets like ppl use for Muskie. Really considering getting one if. They are that much better for the fish 

Best for the fish to grab the hook with forceps and remove the hook without touching it at all.

No more hero shots for me. After the hook is out, if the fish is lying quietly on it's side in shallow water, I will sometimes lay my rod next to it and take a photo. In the winter, it's really important to not remove the fish from the water. Their gills can be injured by the cold air very quickly.

Hopefully, she gets to spawn one more time.

Edited by paul young