Brand of downrigger?

Switched last season to Scottys after running Walkers for over 20 years. Wasn't sure if I would like them having never fished with them but I knew that I didnt want Big Jons or Cannons. After running the scottys this season, I dont think I'd ever change to something else. Some of the features I now like are the mechanical auto stop, free- spool drop, strong boom and the tip up feature. Wasnt to sure how much I would like the tip up boom but found my self using them quite a bit. I would take the Scottys over the Walkers, Big Jon, Cannon, and Fishlander. Can't comment on Penn as I have only fished with them a few times. Thats just my opinion, hope it doesn't start a battle.

We went through the downrigger replacement game last year. I upgraded to all new CANNON 20DT/TS, added the Humminbird 1197 SI combo and the CANNON LINK to control them. Rigged them on the boat and they looked sweet! After 26 years of using CANNON products exclusively (from the dual crank 6 to digitrol IV) I was excited about the prospect of using my fishfinder to bottom track and control the riggers from the helm. It turned out to be quite the opposite.

Before spending over $6000.00 on the equipment, I contacted CANNON to see how the product worked and to talk to someone that was using the system. I called a couple of their pro staff people; they all had old (Prior to Humminbird ownership) equipment. None used the whole system. LIKE A FOOL I purchased it anyway, after all Humminbird + Cannon they must be producing a solid, fine engineered product. WRONG

The First problem was with the 20 DT/TS (I replaced 2 older-perfect working- 20 DTs and one bottom tracking DTIV with new ones that were compatible with the "System") while trolling in 60' of water for June Lakers one rigger would take 78' of cable to get to the bottom and another would start bouncing at 53'. --What the Heck!!

I called Cannon and the tech on the other side of the line started to explain to me how downriggers work with blow back and using the same weight canon ball ect. Like I did not know this already in my 21st year of charter fishing!! I could tell more, but the icing on the cake was when the tech called me back (3rd week of July) and told me that they certainly were having some problems with "SOME" riggers and mine must have been from that group. All I had to do was send them back and they would fix them and get them back to me in 6 weeks. 6 WEEKS TOOK ME TO LABOR DAY and the end of my busy season. Well I dumped them and the Humminbird (Side imaging is a crock) and bought BIG JON's.

Big Jons are alright, but if I had to do it again (or if you want to buy my big Jons) I would get Scotty’s!!

If you are ever at the OAK come by and I will bore you for hours on the summer of 2008 CANNON horror stories. (THE "fishing system" does not work either final instruction from humminbird "don’t use in a wet environment"!!!)

I have never seen a good product ruined so fast as the CANNON downriggers when they were bought by Johnson's Outdoors - humminbird.

SORRY TO RAMBLE,

CC

I had Cannons for years, they were fine, I liked them, very reliable but slow.

I have Scottys now and I'd never go back to Cannons. I prefer the design and looks of the Scottys, they are bulletproof, really simple to use, fast retrieving and I can get a rigger rod reset and deployed faster than with any other rigger on the market. I used the new high speed Cannons on a friends boat and really didn't care for them.

Tim

I am looking at buying 2 Big John electric Captain packs. Anybody got any complaints with them? CBish...Why do you wish you had bought Scottys?? Maybe I will be your huckleberry and buy those big Johns off you so you could get Scottys. The Big Johns just look cleaner (yes I know you don't buy them for the looks) Scottys look like they are built to last for ever...Just a little stone aged is all, taking up a bit more room.

LTC Dave,

I just bought my second set of BJ DR's (I sold my first pair last week). I started salmon fishing in Ludington, MI, and more guys run BJ products there than here. I've used other riggers over the years - Cannons, Vectors and old Penn's - and honestly all of them have been fine. I like the BJ's b/c I'm just used to them and the rod holders are great. It makes me sick that you can spend between $600 and $1000 on a good Cannon rigger with ONE rod holder but you have to "upgrade" to get two rod holders. I just bought a pair of Captain's Packs and they look like the old ones. They are very simple, well built and the motors keep on running and running.

Pros - great rod holders, simple construction, extremely well built, easy to find parts, good customer service

Cons - older technology, no interface with your electronics, pulleys gouge easily from the cable, booms do not telescope

- Chris

Dave,

The pulley system on the end of the rigger has flipped and jumped a couple of times, the counters have to be constantly re-adjusted and for some reason every time I do that with my FAT fingers the springs jump off and go flying into the lake. I will take most of the blame for the above issues and a little more attention to detail and slowing down a little would avoid them.

The big Jons are very well made, great value, strong, fast and fantastic rod holders! You can't beat the captains pack.

CC

Woodschurch,

You hit the nail right on the head. Most of us are pretty passionate about our downriggers of choice. In 20 years of running Cannon downriggers I've only had one issue that required anything other than minor service. I had a PC board fail on a Mag 10 and Cannon had it repaired and back in my hands in less than a week at no cost to me. Needless to say I was quite pleased with the service that I received from them on that issue. Other than that my Cannons have served me well and I fully expect the same from my new Mag20 DT/TS riggers.

As far as Humminbird's Side Imaging goes, I can't comment on it since I don't run it, but if you want an unbiased resource on it, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/. There are over 5000 members of this Yahoo usergroup, which is not affiliated with Humminbird. All they talk about on the site is Side Imaging. There's lots of good info there.

At the end of the day after we've all expressed our opinions, the truth of the matter is that all of the manufacturers named in this thread make fine downriggers that will work well for you. Best of luck and let us know what you decide to do.

The boat that I purchased a year or so ago was equiped with Cannon Digi Troll IV's and they seem to work fine though they seem to make a humming noise when in use. My question is -- does the humming scare the fish and is it only the Cannons that make the noise or is it typical with all riggers. Thanks in advance for the help!

Billy V,

I do not believe my report on the function of the side imaging was biased. I spent $3000.00 on the unit. It lacks the quality that we are acustomed to in our (Raymarine, Furuno, Sitex) fish finder units. The side imaging was cool you could see the rocks on the breakwall as we exited the port on one side of the boat. The lack of transducer technology made using the unit impossiable on the type of boats we use on the great lakes. The only way to fully use the side imaging would be a different transducer system.

When the boat was not under way the side imaging was awsome, it would be useful in many other fishing applications, just not our..........yet.

I wish you the best with your new Cannons....... I am glad they gave them to you to use; it shows their interest in perfecting the units. My first choice for downriggers would be CANNON Digitroll IV built in the 90's, just cant fix them when/if the go bad.

Respectfully,

CC

The boat that I purchased a year or so ago was equiped with Cannon Digi Troll IV's and they seem to work fine though they seem to make a humming noise when in use. My question is -- does the humming scare the fish and is it only the Cannons that make the noise or is it typical with all riggers. Thanks in advance for the help!

That's normal for all riggers, it's the cable vibrating as it goes through the water. wouldn't feel right with out the riggers singing. Doesn't scare the fish and many of us are convinced it helps pull fish into the spread.

Tim

Capt Carl, glad to hear you mention about the Digi Trol- IV from the 90's. Those are what I am currently using and have nothing but good to say about them. Did have a small problem last summer, but was quickly fixed by one of their service centers over the phone. I like you, had the case where my 1 rigger would hit bottom say at 48 but was actually in 70 FOW. Called the service center and explained what was happening. They informed me that one of the magnets on the cable spool had to have popped out. They were to send me a new one, that was going to take over night while staying at the Oak. Low and behold, using the remaining one as a sample, we went to the Wal-Mart in Albion and bought a magnet that was about 1/8" X 3/8" dia and glued in in place that very day. So I was down without it less than half a day. Worked like the day it was made. Sorry to hear about your past experience you had last year. Personally, I can see why you would be upset. I would be myself. But I have to say that I really like my Dig-Trols IVs. I am concerned as you mention about getting them repaired, if that does in fact happen. Cross that bridge when it gets here I guess. Best of luck this year at the Oak. Bought some more of the Moonshines over the winter. Carbon 14 among them ;) Thanks for that tip last year- Duane

The most dramatic difference between the Cannon mag20 dt ts and the Scotty is the price :cash:

After you add the ratchet rod holders to the cannon its at about 1400. ea.?

You could get three Scotty pro pacs for that. Unless there is something the cannon does the any of the other brands don't do, where is the justification in the price? After all there only function in to drop and retrieve a lead ball

I have had Cannons in the past (digi trolls and mag 10's) I'm glad a "Cannon rep" once told me when asked "what kind of rigger would you put on your new boat? he said " you kidding! Scottys! no lie!!

I once sold 4 used Mag 10's on Ebay, and made enough to buy 4 new Scottys. don't know what the attraction really is?? Must be the marketing i guess.

BTW I am a weekend troller, no sponsors.

Duane,

You should buy a used one now for parts or spare.

I think that Narby's will have a good selection of MOONSHINES this year, when one of their colors is hot it is hot!!

I am not impressed by much these days, but 3 of their colors have done that, the C-14, Purple Nurple and TNT.

The OAK is going to be good this year.

CC

I bought my Cannon Digi Trolls in 1984 and they have been fabulous. I had them upgraded to Digi 4's in 2001 and have had no trouble with them other than replacing the pulleys and then the keypads this year( $120 each) I always run 12 lb balls and cannon digigs are rated for up to 20 lb so the handle 12 with ease. I have used pretty well all makes and even the lower models of cannon are far inferior. Although the Cannon Digi's are pricy they are worth the investment, if you can afford it, in my opinion. Scotty pro second choice but a lot less expensive.