Wire Diver Question...

Baddad1

I’m setting up a couple wire diver rods and I’ve been debating between fixed diver or a slide diver. I know the short answer is try one of each and see what works. Well it ain’t exactly fishing season yet and I have been fortunate to get some great advice from LOU, so thought I ask the question: Which do you like and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, Baddad1 said:

I’m setting up a couple wire diver rods and I’ve been debating between fixed diver or a slide diver. I know the short answer is try one of each and see what works. Well it ain’t exactly fishing season yet and I have been fortunate to get some great advice from LOU, so thought I ask the question: Which do you like and why?

They are both productive but a slide diver has to be removed completely from the line or left on that rod. Same thing if you want to change color divers and then re rigged when you want to fish it again. A fixed diver can be removed from the rod via a snap swivel which is a hell of a lot more convenient.

That said, I always have at least one rod on the boat dedicated to slide divers and four for running fixed divers.

Edited by spoonfed-1
  • Like 1

Sliders caught my attention for two reasons; one because it got the wire off the rod and in my opinion helped protect it, the other because you could play with the leader length.  But something definitely to be said about clip and go set-ups... 

Thanks for the responses!

• Like 1

Baddad1- Not sure what you mean by getting the wire off the rod.

Sliders definitely have their day. Storing them on the rod can be a PITA,  especially if you have to break the rod down for storage. I keep a braid setup dedicated for a slider with 30lb fourocarbon double uni-knotted to the braid that the slider clips to. 

Baddad1- Not sure what you mean by getting the wire off the rod.
Sliders definitely have their day. Storing them on the rod can be a PITA,  especially if you have to break the rod down for storage. I keep a braid setup dedicated for a slider with 30lb fourocarbon double uni-knotted to the braid that the slider clips to. 

When you have a slide diver on a wire setup, the last 50’ or so are a segment of Mono, flouro, or braid for the slide diver to slide on. What he means is the wire is reeled right up on the spool and the slider segment is “on the rod”, not the wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slide divers have their days but overall I think you catch more fish on fixed divers. they are more versatile and i have always thought they brought fish into the spread. slide divers work good in shallow water but overall i prefer the fixed diver even though i run both. 

• Like 1

Both regular dipseys and slide divers are very productive.  For someone just getting into wire divers, I would second Gamblers advice of starting with regular dipseys.  Fewer connections easier to store.  Wire is fussy so keep it simple to start.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 2:17 PM, Baddad1 said:

I think I have tried every diver and diver combination you can probably try at this point. Just find what works best for you and compliments your spread the best.

I played with slide divers for years in every scenario imaginable but they never caught more fish then my other diver setups so they never earned their place. 

For example: 

Skinny water (inside of 30 fow)- My preferred diver setup is 65# braid diver rod with a Chinook Diver and a 12' fluoro leader. 

Deep water (outside of 30 fow)- My preferred diver setup is 30# wire diver rod with a standard Diver w/ mag ring and a 12' fluoro leader. 

• Like 1

Slide divers are stealth presentations. Regular divers are an aggressive presentation. When the bite slows on the regular divers you can either lengthen leads and hand line fish to net or switch to a slide diver.

IMO you need to decide how you want to run both short (aggressive) and long (stealth) rather than choosing between one or the other.

When I start out in the morning and I expect the bite to be on I run mag wire diver inside short (aggressive) and reg wire diver short (aggressive) outside that. If the bite slows, I switch to a longer lead behind the mag and I switch out the outside regular diver for a wire slide diver making both stealthier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThreeDogsDown said:

When you have a slide diver on a wire setup, the last 50’ or so are a segment of Mono, flouro, or braid for the slide diver to slide on. What he means is the wire is reeled right up on the spool and the slider segment is “on the rod”, not the wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok gotcha. He was talking about storing the rod, not fishing it.  :smile:

Unfortunately due to the fact that I will probably be storing more than using...

Liked the idea of getting all the wire off the and stored on the reel. Plus I also was thinking that the long leader length could be adjusted to easily change the action with the added bonus of making it a bit easier for single hand netting. But totally get there are easy work arounds and those benefits probably don’t outweigh the ease of making changes wearing glasses...

I do appreciate all the feedback.

• Like 1

I have 2 slide divers , both on 65 # braid . My setup is , braid to 50 ft of 30# mono , small bead to stop the diver , barrel swivel , 5 ft of 15 # , swivel and almost always a spoon . 

I only put one out ,usually,  when I have to, and things are slow . But it has saved the day countless times for me . And skittish kings seem to like it . 

Normally I run two 30 lb wire 124 mm Deeper Divers to the insides deeper on 1 or 1 1/2 and sometimes run two more to the outside set at 2 1/2 or 3. I use the standard size #1 slide divers selectively and usually in the summer up higher in the water column.  Occasionally I put the rings on them to get deeper but  it can be a pain to rig them on the spur of the moment. Each type has its place in the arsenal but I use the standard wire divers more frequently and they seem to be more productive during the entire season and are more flexible in terms of changing out diver set-ups as I have numerous setups all ready to go with the flashers or Spinneys already attached to divers and just attach the setups to the swivel to change out. I store the setups in large ziplocks already rigged with their own flies as well.

So I actually purchased four rods & reels, 2ea 8.5' and 2ea 10' to do just that Sk8man. Wasn't sure beyond that which way to go.  However thanks to some excellent feedback - believe I know the direction forward.  Like the idea of ziplock bags also.