will there be spring kings

BAITNH

Sorry, I'm a sports fisherman, not a prophet, but it is my feeling that at this point there is a lot of natural reproduction in all sorts of creeks. This is up to the point where pen reared fish has become less crucial than it was a few years ago. Anyway, spring kings are more abundant after a soft winter and so far this winter is not terribly harsh, so my prophesy would be that ,yes, there will be spring kings,but they will not be of epic size

21 hours ago, BAITNH said:

now that it has been  a couple of years since the stoppage of most of the pen reared fish in many areas , will there still be spring king fishing ?  well    catching is what i am more interested in 

Huh??  Stoppage of net pen fish??  Where?   Not sure where you are getting your info but that is simply not the case in anyway shape or form.  Pen rearing is as strong as it ever has.  Is there new guidance as to locations and numbers?  Yes but certainly in no way has it stopped.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rolmops said:

Sorry, I'm a sports fisherman, not a prophet, but it is my feeling that at this point there is a lot of natural reproduction in all sorts of creeks. This is up to the point where pen reared fish has become less crucial than it was a few years ago. Anyway, spring kings are more abundant after a soft winter and so far this winter is not terribly harsh, so my prophesy would be that ,yes, there will be spring kings,but they will not be of epic size

Again more disnformation... The only way Lake Ontario Kings stay abundant is thru stocking... There is zero protections in place for natural reproduction.  Nat production is simply a gift from Mother nature and adds to the fishery where it can.  Please don't spread disinformation... 

Edited by Tall Tails
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, jason said:

No will not be any spring fishing this year. The fish discovered the st Lawrence River and left the lake until they decided to run up the rivers late fall

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

:smoke: guess I’m just gonna sell the boat and all the gear.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BAITNH said:

i had thought i saw they stopped some of the pen rearing in several locations due to a cut back in stocking numbers a couple of years ago ?

Fair Haven and Sandy Creek but those fish got allocated to Oswego and the Oak accordingly.  All based on fishing pressure and the survey.  No less fish being stocked due to less pens.  Yes an overall reduction in stocking but as a percentage the net pens are receiving actually more and less direct stocking in ports are taking place.  Offering for higher survival.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

Fair Haven and Sandy Creek but those fish got allocated to Oswego and the Oak accordingly.  All based on fishing pressure and the survey.  No less fish being stocked due to less pens.  Yes an overall reduction in stocking but as a percentage the net pens are receiving actually more and less direct stocking in ports are taking place.  Offering for higher survival.  

Dont forget Sodus and Wilson projects were cut also...

DEC said that upwards of 47 % of kings were Nat Reproduction . 

That is nearly half , no small number . 

With all the cuts and concentrating the pen sights it remains to be seen what will happen . 

But to get back to the spring king question , there are a lot of factors that will influence it . 

Water temp and more  importantly color.  . 

Wind direction to name a few . 

There are years we have had terrible spring kings but great summer fishing. 

So wait and see . 

23 hours ago, Legacy said:

Dont forget Sodus and Wilson projects were cut also...

Its important to remind folks yes the projects were ended but the fish were reallocated.  They did not cut the fish from being stocked.  Thank you for that reminder.  I did also leave out that direct stockings were eliminated in a few places as well.  Those fish were put into the net pen # and re allocated to other direct stock locations. 

On 2/16/2021 at 6:45 AM, Tall Tails said:

It is hysterical that decisions were made "based on fishing pressure and the survey" following two years where the Sandy ramp was closed due to the high water situation. That's like kicking a dog when it's down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Lake wasn’t looking very inviting I’m Hamlin this morning. IMG_2121.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ur killing me Bill.  In my perfect world there is no ice and I’ll b trolling March 20.