Low cost counter reels for trolling

Was looking at buying Okuma MAGDA counter reels. I dont fish the big waters very often and my trolling days/time on the water would be minimal per say.

Is/has any members been using these? Price wise and features seem to be in my wheelhouse to keep me out of the doghouse. If not any suggestions on others of similar value. I would be purchasing a couple different sizes to match species. 

I'm starting from the gound up so i would be buying multiple outfits. I would be targeting trout and walleye mostly. Dont have a downrigger set up yet either.

Also rods. Thanks in advance for any info!

Don't get Magda ... they are crap ... too much plastic. You will regret it, throw them away, and buy something a little better that will last, and in the end it will just cost you MORE money ... you won't save anything with magda reels.

I'd much sooner spend a few more $ and get Okuma Convector Reels.

They are  a pretty good value for the money. I have a number of Magda 45DX's which I use on both the Finger lakes and Lake Ontario and for the type of fishing you describe probably the 30 size would serve you OK. You can get a couple hundred yards of braid backing on them with a 10 color leadcore and run them from Walleye inlines fine. That size is marginal for kings though. The reels seem to stand up well over time  and are pretty well built.

i have around a dozen of the 15 and 20 series magdas and have been running them for browns on ontario and salmon and lakers on adirondack lakes for 10 years with 1000's of fishing hours on them and have had very little issues.might have to replace a drag or a sticky line counter,but other than that,they are very well built reels.

Lot of ppl hate on the Magdas. I ran them for years and sure I had some issues with a couple of them. The counters would get stuck, drags weren't great, they have a bit of a gap between the edge of the spool and the case of the reel, that sometimes the line would fall into. Ones I had were the previous versions and some of those problems could have been addressed in the latest design. They are great starter reels and with a $8 drag upgrade are a really good value imo. I have since upgraded and sold all mine but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone looking for a good budget reel.

I bought two 4 packs of magda45’s with rods off ebay 5 years ago for $225 each set of 4. I was new and just starting off with a minimal budget. Been upgrading my cooper setups, leadcore, and dipsey combos throughout the last couple years.  Still running the magda’s almost every weekend as downrigger setups for browns and kings and haven’t had any issues with them yet. Maybe I just got lucky with all 8 of mine. Well worth the money IMO when your just starting out with a budget. 
Good luck

Mike

I ran Magda 30's and 20's for years and while they were cheap reels they did the trick. Fished the Finger Lakes and then Ontario for a few years with them. Took many Salmon and Browns and never lost a fish because of them.  Drags were a little sticky. This was 25+ years ago so I don't know if they are the same now. From my past experience I think they will be fine for the limited use it seems they would get. IF they are the same as they were back then.

Edited by spoonfed-1

I have one Magda I use as my slide diver rod . It works fine . $55 

I also have a few Diawa Accudepths which are a little more,  $ 90 

I also have a connector which I feel is a nice reel also . $90 

TDR  or Eagle claw are nice rods for the money . 

There are nice combos you can get for less than 100$ on sale . 

There are guys on here that seem to  need the best of everything to catch these fish . I'm here to tell you you don't.  . 

Better off buying the cheap out fits and spending the saved money on a temp / speed probe which will get you way hook ups than the better rods / reels . 

Once the rod is in the release or behind the dipsy , the fish won't care what's in the rod holder . 

20 hours ago, trickworm33 said:

Was looking at buying Okuma MAGDA counter reels. I dont fish the big waters very often and my trolling days/time on the water would be minimal per say.

Is/has any members been using these? Price wise and features seem to be in my wheelhouse to keep me out of the doghouse. If not any suggestions on others of similar value. I would be purchasing a couple different sizes to match species. 

I'm starting from the gound up so i would be buying multiple outfits. I would be targeting trout and walleye mostly. Dont have a downrigger set up yet either.

Also rods. Thanks in advance for any info!

Magda offer you a great price point to get in the game. Of course there is better options but if you have a limited budget then they are the way to go!