Otter Boat/Copper Question

Last year I ran 200 ft to 400 ft copper rods off of inline board and the 600 copper off of the back. I have my otter boat boards rigged up, can I run a 200, a 400, and a 600 on the same side off of one otter boat? And if so what release do you guys use to hook to the 600 section that still alows it to break free with a fish on? Thanks Sean

Hookedup,

I only run one copper per side. More that one will cause real problems. For releases, I use the Scotty Downrigger releases with a shower curtain hook attached. If you can find the Scotty double stacker releases, cut the line off and add the shower curtain hooks. It is around $9.00 per release if you buy them single. If you buy the double stackers, it will cost you about $2.00 more. They work awesome. Another trick I use is adding 6' of 50lb. mono between my backing and copper to attach the release to.

We use pinch pad releases as stated above, but we use rubberbands to attach the line to the release. Wrap the rubber band around 2-3 times and put both loops deep in the release. Most times the rubber band will break and you'll get the tag ends back to put in the garbage.

Yankee Troller thats what I was thinking. Thats why when I run 4 leadcore lines off a side I use inlines. Thanks for the help guys I have some scotty releases I will give them a try with the 600. My church walleye boards work for the 400 but not for the 600. I am shure some one will make a larger inline board for 600ft of copper.

• 4 weeks later...

You can do it, but as stated the wire will hang and drag unless you get the rod up high, then you can get the board far enough out to be effective. I have wrapped a (big fat runbber band) not sure of the #, around the copper then grabbed the rubberband with the scottys release. Worked fine, and no damage to the copper.

Or you could get a second job and get a copper set up for every situation ;(

I thought I would try one and I thought if i bought a long one I could let out the amount I wanted and be good to go.

The rod will go up high, I already planned on that. I just didnt know if copper would get damaged by pad style releases.

I run copper all the time and love it. My most productive all season last year was the 300' (60 - 65' down). The 400' was a close second. I have 7 copper rods 100, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 and a 500. It is a little expensive but they flat out produce. I would recommend starting with a 400 or 300 not a 600.

I run copper all the time and love it. My most productive all season last year was the 300' (60 - 65' down). The 400' was a close second. I have 7 copper rods 100, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 and a 500. It is a little expensive but they flat out produce. I would recommend starting with a 400 or 300 not a 600.

I agree with gambler, and also love copper. I have basically the same line up but but bumped the 500 to 600, reason being it goes off rear of the boat, so i could choose the amount of copper out, hopefully it won't be 600 (heart attack rig). ;(

BTW, I also have 50 and 75 for trout and SWR.