outboard motor

frenchy 1957

i bought this boat has a 175   evinrude  and a 20  kicker  whant to replace it   with a 4  stroke  was thinking  honda yamaha or  suzuki maybe a 150 hp is that to  small  need go to 175 or 200 what the boat can take is 225  hp max help appreciated

136725000_3785842961462667_3974119286944902539_o.jpg

20210114_141345.jpg

On 2/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, fishinfreak said:

Why not a mercury? Nothing but good reviews on them . My 150 has a ton of power. Easy to maintain and less moving parts

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

trust me i can  find one decent im buyng it  dealers having trouble getting new ones

• 2 years later...

I really have never been happy with an underpowered boat. I would look for a 150HP or up to the max of the boat. later you will regret going lower than 150HP but I like to go as large as I can afford as long as the max of the boat isn't broken.

one thing to remember the 150HP 4 stroke is less HP with more weight than the 2 stroke. but a 150HP propped right will serve you very well.

I think you mean 4 strokes have less torque than a 2 stroke of the same HP.  Which means that you have to typically drop 2 pitches in prop.

HP is the same between a 2 and 4 stroke, it’s measured at the prop shaft.

Edited by Jm1984
Typo

13 hours ago, Jm1984 said:

I think you mean 4 strokes have less torque than a 2 stroke of the same HP.  Which means that you have to typically drop 2 pitches in prop.

HP is the same between a 2 and 4 stroke, it’s measured at the prop shaft.

I fully understand that but if he replaces a 175HP 2 stroke with a 150HP 4 stroke he is losing 25HP any way you look at it. I didn't say he would lose HP with the same HP motor. I said if he goes to a 150HP he will lose 25HP and gain weight over the 2 stroke. but I could be wrong on the weight because he has more HP with the 2 stroke and it might be a little heavier than a 150HP 4 stroke.

A 4 stroke will have more torque than a 2 stroke if the same prop rated HP . You should be within at least 80% of the rated HP for your boat . Otherwise you end up working the underpowered motor to death . Cruise at 35mph @ 4500 RPMs with a 150 . With a 175 or larger you may be running 3800 RPMs . I pulled those numbers out of the sky , just noting there will be a big difference, especially with a decent load in the boat . I would go with the biggest HP up to the max that I could afford.