Fillet knife

I have several knives on the boat... Even a really nice home made knife( I'm afraid to use it in case I drop it overboard)..
I've used the cheap Rada knives for years.. They sharpen extremely easy.. Hold an edge very well...and if you drop one overboard, it's not a kick in the nuts replacing...
https://radakitchenstore.com/products/fillet-knife?_pos=5&_sid=98d73c08f&_ss=r

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Favorite knife for kings ?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hands down... Cutco... Forever guaranteed! We have a number of them on the boat and ship them back to be factory sharpened as needed

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think this is the one Rob is referring to as I don't think they make a true fillet knife it is a boning knife that serves about the same purpose but is 6 1/8 inches long. I have had a deluxe set of their serrated knives for years and they are good knives but expensive. https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=boning-knife

The Forschner Victorinox is a mainstay of the saltwater charter industry and is 8 inch which is great for large fish like salmon. Thye resharpen relatively easily too.

https://www.amazon.com/Forschner-40711-Fillet-8-Inch-Fibrox/dp/B000EZ0D4E?dchild=1

OR - if you are particularly talented  at filleting or chunk your fillets this Ulu is the way to go:smile: (the spot on the blade is merely a reflection of the ceiling light:lol:)

ulu.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Do you use it and if so is it worth the money

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Worth every penny. I own a pile of them and send them back to get factory sharpened once they get dull. Never a full knife on the boat.

14 hours ago, Legacy said:

No no no.
This is the Cutco Salmon knife.
https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=salmon-knife

Hey Rob,

I know several years ago you were recommending the Bubba blade. Looks like you have upgraded. I am assuming I already know the answer but how well does the cutco salmon knife handle the big bones and when making the gill cut and turn to go down the backbone? I know it was designed for thin slicing and skinning but not sure how stiff/flexible the blade is.

I have a cutco set, and am a fan, but do not have the salmon knife.

Thanks,

Tom T

Good point. I use the electric for the bulk of it and use the fillet knife for the skin and rib cage. With bigger salmon  a longer very sharp knife is usually easier but for perch, walleyes etc. the electric is the way to go for the whole operation

3 hours ago, SamonSez said:

Hey Rob,

I know several years ago you were recommending the Bubba blade. Looks like you have upgraded. I am assuming I already know the answer but how well does the cutco salmon knife handle the big bones and when making the gill cut and turn to go down the backbone? I know it was designed for thin slicing and skinning but not sure how stiff/flexible the blade is.

I have a cutco set, and am a fan, but do not have the salmon knife.

Thanks,

Tom T

I love the Bubba Blade handles. They are easily the most comfortable knives to use. I have 3 of them in various sizes. Problem is the edge doesnt hold up well.

The thing for me is that the Cutcos are warrantied for life. My buddy ships a handful of them off mid season for sharpening and then sends them all in during the winter for sharpening. We like sharp knives so we have 15 or so between the two of us that we cycle through. Nothing compares to the factory sharpened edge and they come back from the factory dangerously sharp.

Honestly salmon arent the issue, trout are the issue. Trout bones are like cutting through steel some days and put a hurting on knives. As for flex, the Cutco doesnt have a lot of flex, which is fine with me. Probably my only gripe would be the blade length. Having an option for a blade 3-4" longer would be nice for girthier fish (25# or bigger).

• Like 1

Forschner Cimeter for salmon. 10 or 12" blade for salmon and big lakers. I use the 12" for peeling the fillets off and going through bone and the 10" for skinning. Easy to sharpen and the edge lasts.

Edited by spoonfed-1
  • Thanks 1

I have an old Russell 9” blade I like for salmon.  I tend to like the feel of a thinner blade.  Believe Dexter Russell still offers it as a traditional 9 inch with wood handle made in USA for around $30.  I also have an RADA and it is OK for smaller fish.  Cutco’s are a nice piece and I have been tempted-guess I’m a bit cheap as I’ve not pulled the trigger on one.

Yeah my set was about $1,000 for the kitchen but as Rob said they have a life time warranty and when the wife uses one as a screwdriver it can be important :lol: