Finger Lakes March & April Advice

Good morning  - I'm sitting here pondering some warmer days. Id like to hit the lakes in March and April as the Temps make it more reasonable to get out with Kayak and dry suit.

I'm looking for a starting point on where the fish hang out early Spring. Are they spread out anywhere March and April, is there a general depth to start searching for them at that time of year? 

Once the water temps are in the fiftyish range the bait will usually move in near shore and especially near stream mouths and adjacent areas so the trout/salmom will often be nearby in the relatively shallow water. Before the zebras they could be found much closer to shore but with the much clearer water now they  are usually out in say 20 ft or so as a starting point but it can pay to have a board with something trailing a long ways behind shallower. Clarity of the water is a major determinant Each lake can be a bit bit different too in terms of particular species location for example rainbows and landlocks are often found in better concentrations at the southern ends of some of the lakes before the north end gets going for them. Small to medium spoons and sticks are the most productive then and with particularly clear water conditions run back away from the boat. March and April used be be real good even fishing from shore for lakers at the extreme north and south ends of Seneca and Cayuga but other than an occasional "cruiser" (and usually a larger fish) the extreme shallows are now devoid of fish in many of the traditional spots.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks for the feedback! It's crazy how much impact invasive can have! 

Are the Lakers still out deeper in March and April? Someone once told me that Lakers are always deep all year. 

With regards to distance behind the boat, I can generally long line stick baits at depths of 10-15ft running a good 100ft behind me. Is 100ft decent enough run behind the boat (paddle kayak) for the shallower bows and landlocks (browns too).

Green, I would think distance is not an issue when your stealth from using a kayak. It’s more from the motor noise spooking them. As far as spring like sk8man said, shallows are deadly when the bait moves in but you still will find the Lakers deep as well. I’d say you have a better chance at the variety of target fish hitting the shallows while your paddling. Sounds fun.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Thanks 1

Mike is right about the motor noise.  The water clarity is also a problem in the shallows from the standpoint of sight  though as you want the lure to not be connected with your boat in any way. One of the more effective things to use that way is a jointed  stick bait or flatfish type lure as it looks "wounded" and "vulnerable" and way back there are no distractions. The kayak is probably the most deadly way to do it too. Good luck with it. I'd be using 8-10 lb fluoro leader in that area too with a small black ball bearing swivel or with stick  "loop tied".:smile:

• Thanks 1