Connecting mainline line to leader

tim

Just a quick question, do you guys tie your leaders to the main line or use a ball bearing barrel swivel in between?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

How many feet of leader do you usually use

Thank you for answering so quick to. Plan on spending more time on Lake O Even if I have to go myself why my lazy friends are sitting on the couch at home

12 hours ago, tim said:

Just a quick question, do you guys tie your leaders to the main line or use a ball bearing barrel swivel in between?

small swivel in between...

Albright knot 

Summer Flea season I run 30# Big Game then 25 ft( my usual lead from.the ball )  of 15# USUALLY .  . I have 2 dedicated flasher rods with straight 30#  no leader.  

Never a problem , see no reason to change . 

Albright knot 

Summer Flea season I run 30# Big Game then 25 ft( my usual lead from.the ball )  of 15# USUALLY .  . I have 2 dedicated flasher rods with straight 30#  no leader.  

Never a problem , see no reason to change . 

Has anyone tried bass pro ball bearing swivels? Looked for an hour for Spro, and can’t find.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had more swivels fail than knots over the years, so I tie. Blood knots usually for mono unless I'm in a hurry or it's dark out, or really rough in which case I'll go back-to-back uni's since you can tie them by feel. Albright for mono leader to braid if the mono is under 20# test, otherwise FG knot.  Generally I like a 5 ' section of 20# to the braid with an FG knot and then blood knot to the actual leader. This allows everything to go through the guides easily and lay flat on the spool.

On the rare occasions I use a swivel it's a palomar knot.  Same for the snap swivel for spoons. 

Now and then, if I'm in a fun mood for fall kings I'll do a bimini with a wind-on for J-plugs. It's overkill but it entertains the folks onboard. 

Edited by Chuck Smth
  • Like 1

This thread is a good example of the fact that there can be many effective ways of doing things and it largely depends on your own level of confidence in whatever it is you are doing. This is true of much of fishing and the reason for the existence of so many different knots:lol:

• Like 1