12v and 36v plug

SerdaFied

I have a MinnKota DH-40 Deckhand Pontoon Anchor Winch. It is a 12v system. There is a 2 prong plug installed now.  I'm waiting on my new 36v trolling motor. I was wondering if there is a way to install this 3 prong plug, and have a ground, 12v positive and 36v positive in the female plug. I could get to male 3 prong plugs and use the ground and 12v side on one male plug for the anchor, and use the ground and 36v side on other male plug on trolling motor?  Is this possible? Any info would be appreciated! 

3 prong plug.jpg

Not sure why you want to do that with only one receptacle because you couldn't have power to the anchor winch and the trolling motor at the same time. If you don't mind continuously changing plugs I don't see why it wouldn't work, though. Just make sure the 12v plug is wired to the first of your three batteries, otherwise you'll be sending either 24v or 36v to the anchor winch, which wouldn't work out well. And those three prong MinnKota plugs ain't cheap if you're buying another one. Just my opinion.

I plan on using one quick release bracket on the bow, and either using trolling motor or anchor not both at once. Both with the bracket to fit the quick release. Depending on what species I am going after I would be using one or the other. So no need to have both plugs. And it wont take up so much room up there having both units installed at the same time. So when I go after catfish in the river, or anchoring up with buddies to chill and grill,  I would have the anchor. Trolling for salmon/trout or bass fishing, I would have the trolling motor up there. I am adding the trolling motor, so I didn't want to have to run another plug, because space is tight.  So I think if I put 3 batteries in series, and run the + to one pin, The - to the other pin. And on the third pin just a single wire to the + on first battery that the ground comes off of from 36v series? I think it should work. But I figured there is a wealth of knowledge on this site, and someone would point me in the right direction. 

There likely will be a difference in the amount of current (and therefore wire gauge) required by the trolling motor than what is required by the anchor winch. So you must be aware of that in order that you don't compromise the trolling motor performance. Also, the longer the wire, the heavier the required wire gauge. You also need to be aware of the maximum current rating of the plug. Usually a 3 blade twist lock plug is used for trolling motors. I believe they are rated at a much higher maximum current than the one you show. And of course you need to be concerned about fusing and all connections being heavy duty enough for performance and fire safety. You don't want the wire or any connections to generate excessive heat. One thing that is good is that a 36v motor uses about 1/3 the amount of current that a 12v motor of the same thrust uses. You might want to switch to the twist lock plug for both devices and wire is as discussed above.

That is the one I was talking about. Also there is an adapter for the panel mount connector to adapt to a heavier gauge wire. I had to get that because I went to a 12v motor when my older 24v was stolen, because there was no longer a 55lb thrust available in 24v. I also had to rewire the boat with heavier gauge (6awg) wire from batteries in back of boat.

I have about 12 ft of wire from breaker by batteries to plug. Currently has 8 awg. The plug will except 6 awg. Will 6a wg be good enough? I can also get 6 awg in red, black, and red with white tracer. So I could have the red/white tracer for my 36v power. Everything else "red" on the boat is 12v. Also I assume I only need one breaker on power coming from 3rd battery from bank to the plug? 

Here is a Google search page with multiple sources and explanations. I saw some charts for 12v and some for 24v but I am not sure if there are any for 36v. The higher the operating voltage, the lower the current draw for a motor of same Lbs of thrust so the wire for a 36lb motor doesn't have to be as thick as that for a 24 or 12 lb motor. I can't remember exactly how I arrived at my choice but heat is a concern as well as reduction of voltage (therefore power) and price/ft. There are obviously tradeoffs. Also, you can probably take into account that most of the time you will not be using continuous full power.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wire+gauge+chart+vs+voltage+and+current&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALeKk00eihkK6cJcOJd6_ZSBOC1Ct4z7oA:1614801046342&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=jkQpCQMB_JdZ2M%2CBm_Lxb3wQHwxJM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRkklVAzNFGgcdErjPhPZCLDCy-ew&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjS0f_V8pTvAhUlGFkFHdJ1CssQ9QF6BAgLEAE#imgrc=jkQpCQMB_JdZ2M&imgdii=uIuU_0Nlma73vM

• 2 weeks later...