Homemade Planer Boards & Mast

Not sure if this is going to work but here's a copy of the corrected plans and actually there were two mistakes in the original plans.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~sderose/planner.doc

Does anyone have an updated link to the corrected plans?

I think this was the corrected plans Greg (Patriot) sent me that I have posted on the LOTSA website

http://www.lotsa.org/planer-board1.pdf

Tim

Is there a trick to turn this type into a fold up board? Also,in order to make it a triple board do you just add one more piece using the same measurements,or is there more to it?

I had the opportunity to compare otter boards with doubles underneath and the triple riviera boards both pulling 300 feet of copper and the riviera boards gave a much stronger side pull.In the turns the riviera boards were much better as well.

Well, Got them made today... just need a coat or two or five of paint...

IMG_20110615_104033.jpg

IMG_20110615_104015.jpg

IMG_20110615_111144.jpg

By the way, the plans that are posted LOTSA are in fact the ones with the mistake. You may be able to see the front holes that are misaligned on each one. :lol:

No big deal, the washer covers the mistake :)

Also have plans for my home made mast... will update later

• 5 months later...

I have been lurking around these forums for a while and figured i would finally post. Here is what I have for everyone hope you enjoy.

Ok so I have looked high and low for someone that has made these style releases. I was able to find tid-bits of information on different releases and decided to go for it. Mind you I have not used these yet but I will be using rubber bands in the mouth of the clips. If I did the math correctly these cost me ~ $0.36/ea. yes 36 cents each when they are charging upwards of $5.00/ea. for similar style releases. In the long run I will buy a bunch of the Off-shore releases but for now this will do and should be much easier to read when smaller fish are on because of the stretch in the rubber bands.

This is what I came up with:

100 shower curtian hooks $11.99

100 Stainless Steel Size 8 split rings $12.88

100 Alligator clips with plastic shields $10.98

Parts laid out:

100_1104.jpg

Inserting the split ring thru the hole in the alligator clip:

100_1106.jpg

Inserting the clip back into the plastic sleeve:

100_1107.jpg

Lastly all I did was push the shower curtian hook thru the plastic sleeve and split ring:

100_1108.jpg

100_1103.jpg

Here are 50 of the 100:

100_1109.jpg

Hope this helps someone in the future that decides to save themselves some money.

Good fishing to all!

Chas

I am actually planing on using rubber bands on my braid. I'm not a fan of mono but will run a mono leader to give some stretch. I mostly walleye fish but plan to do some april trolling for browns and steelies. I figure too with rubber bands it will be easier to read the smaller finicky walleyes and perch.

Ya I thought about not using the alligator clips but once all my rubber bands are gone I am going to get some rubber hose for the clips and use them like my off-shore releases. I figured they would be ready for the rubber hose.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The 80 degree cut won't happen unless you've got a 12" blade on your radial arm saw, but a 10" blade will slice a 70 degree cut, from what I've found.

Made a couple spare sets too.

I ended up using my circular saw. I cleaned up the angle with my palm sander and used 10" pine board.

Ya I thought about not using the alligator clips but once all my rubber bands are gone I am going to get some rubber hose for the clips and use them like my off-shore releases. I figured they would be ready for the rubber hose.

Ran into a snag with the rubber tubing/heat shrink. The diameter of my line is very thin and seems to slide out of the clips really easywith the rubber hose or heat shrink. 15lb. Mono would probably be ok but my 15lb. power pro braid slips right out with barely any tension.

I'm adding some decoy, lead weight, to the outside board, to help keep 'em from leaping. :yes:

They leap that bad?

No leaping on my home-mades - and they have seen some pretty choppy water so far. They work great

• 2 weeks later...

I am toying with the idea of changing 2 old electric Big Jon down riggers into power planer board masts. Did anybody try this? If you did ,how did it work?

Cornelis.

I am working on this very thing right now........well contemplating anyway... I have two old Great Lakes riggers that I can no longer get parts for (circuit boards) ]. I will use a couple of 12volt ice cube relays (for ease of reversing polarity) and 2 switches at the helm. Mounted to the deck, directly below a Big Jon mast. If I go through with it, I will post some pics.

http://www.downtimecharters.com/Ideas/Planer_boards/planner_boards-plans2010.pdf does any body know if the one board 36" long you cut the bottom 32" inches to get your angle, just want to double check before I cut. Also r the triple better than the dual, I want to make one up for the port side but want A little bigger one than the 27" one posted on here, like to make one like the amish outfitters if I had the plans for one

I am toying with the idea of changing 2 old electric Big Jon down riggers into power planer board masts. Did anybody try this? If you did ,how did it work?

Cornelis.

I've pulled my homemades AND otter boats with my big jons, no problem. ;)

PS: so far :D Also, I use shower clips and rubber bands for my releases.

Cornelis.

I've pulled my homemades AND otter boats with my big jons, no problem. ;)

PS: so far :D Also, I use shower clips and rubber bands for my releases.

How do you get the rubber bands to break on light hits? I pulled a fish for a while mostly because it would not break. I could see the band stretch but even with a hard jerk of the rod it still wouldn't break. I use the red bands by weldon tackle.