Restoring the Lake Sturgeon population on the Genesee River

I was looking into starting a conservation program for restoring the Lake Sturgeon population on the Genesee River. I am doing a capstone project on Sturgeon and I feel a project of this sort would restore the rivers sturgeon legacy in the area.

Any Interest? and or does anybody know of someone/groups who are doing such work?

Yes, I know their project lasted a few years in early 2000.... Im not sure how much their dedicating as of today. I will find out.

People are catching (and hopefully releasing) sturgeon in the river now however it takes between 14- 20 years before females are sexually mature. I think the conservation piece needs to be continuously monitored and the stocking program needs to be aggressive. The water and topology of the river will sustain these fish. We need the resources to push it.

The DEC "secretly" put some in the river a few years back. There was an article last year that they are doing well. In last years annual report when the DEC reported on the netting/sampling of the bass population along the shore, they netted one roughly 3 ft long. They've been pleased with the stocking results. It's also one of the specie that the glfc has included in their retoration objectives for the next 10 yrs.

NOTE: They're still protected specie. IE no catching them or trying to catch them!

Tom B.

(LongLine)