My, My, How things change...

Lake level is below long term average, but trending up the last few days. I hope they put the plug back in soon.  It's amazing how much the level can fluctuate..

Braddock Bay launch ramp

June, 2019

Ramp1.thumb.jpg.d860a746639c7c8e2e4e674ed1f36a48.jpg

Same Ramp, March 2, 2021

1904595505_IMG_1058bb.thumb.jpg.28597aa8756fe8888339d97ba34e3159.jpg

Well, I am slightly concerned Brian..... normal should be high 245.8-246 above sea level and we are a foot behind that, a lack luster winter snow, so I don’t see a huge melt /run off coming and unless we get rains, can/will they bring/allow the lake level up or will they be too worried about past levels and downstream (Montreal) flood worries if lake is high and they can’t discharge quick enough. I would like to see it higher by now, not worried if this was January, but I am watching it closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The first early trips out of Braddocks Bay will interesting. Sand pushed back in the channel plus low water, plus any debris flushed out of the bay into the channel..... I think I'll put my waders in the boat the first few trips and be trimmed up and moving at idle speed. Better safe than sorry.

IMG_3424.JPG

Thick red line is current 2021 year to date daily average water level
Thick black line is 10 yr ave 2011-2020
Other thin lines are each of the last 10 years.

It does concern me that A) it’s low... B) it’s dropping not rising.

Yes, a couple of other years it was also like this and hopefully it will rebound much the same. Just given the latest IJC plans, normally they are piling water up for spawning grounds, and in a winter without a lot of snow so far, surprisingly they seem to have let a lot flow out. IMHO

1 hour ago, reelintense said:

The rise I see here coincides with the extreme wind we had earlier in the week. This info. I believe is from Oswego,  so the wind may have pushed the water up a bit there... it's showing a drop now.

ontarioLevelsFeet.thumb.png.284ae7f9f2fe5edf8515af887e37451f.png

• Like 1

Yeah, mine is off the Rochester bouys data from the NOAA tides and currents portion of the website I visit. I downloaded the last 10 years to see daily averages. One or two days can easily go up or down based on wind and even a quick thaw or large rain. But the fact that it’s going out quicker than coming in for first 2 months worries me... not for spring, but lake season lake levels. We shall see...

9 hours ago, reelintense said:

IMG_3424.JPG

Thick red line is current 2021 year to date daily average water level
Thick black line is 10 yr ave 2011-2020
Other thin lines are each of the last 10 years.

Yes, a couple of other years it was also like this and hopefully it will rebound much the same. Just given the latest IJC plans, normally they are piling water up for spawning grounds, and in a winter without a lot of snow so far, surprisingly they seem to have let a lot flow out. IMHO

It will rise.  Be patient.  We will not see huge flooding but she will get to normal easily.  The higher Erie is, the inflow of water into Lake O is higher.  They now have plenty of room to hold back water if we get any flooding spring rains and they are in jeopardy of flooding out Montreal.