Can I Install a Planer Mast? Or No?

We're considering installing a planer mast onto our boat. Its a Lund Rebel 1625. I'm just not sure about whether its going to be possible with our setup. I marked up this floor plan I found online to show my issue. On the port side of the bow, I made a vertical storage rig for extra rods.

The plan would be to mount the mast on the front of the bow, where the stock trolling motor would have been mounted. So here is my main question:

Would the rod storage interfere with the tow line? Its been several years since the last time I was on a boat with big boards and I can't really picture how much blow back to expect. I'm guessing I could get away with it on a straight run, but how about if I need to turn towards the starboard side?

Aside from installing a tower and storing the rods overhead, I haven't really come up with a better way to store any number of fully rigged rods.

Any other idea for a different mast installation? Or maybe a rod storage solution that i haven't come up with yet?

1912131263_LundLayout.thumb.JPG.8ac3e0747cff07d7308b5832050a2987.JPG

I put my 6' mast right into a bow seat mount extension and it works beautiful

With rods in the far back storage it still might interfere during hard port turns though. If you left the back three holders open you might be fine.

Edited by Bad_Influence

39 minutes ago, Bad_Influence said:

I put my 6' mast right into a bow seat mount extension and it works beautiful

With rods in the far back storage it still might interfere during hard port turns though. If you left the back three holders open you might be fine.

X2 on my Alaskan, also used the bow seat mount for the mast.

you could always do a single mast on each side just aft of your rod storage.  another option if you break your rods down for storage you can get the mast high enough to run the tow lines  over the rods

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Shakemsam said:

Keep in mind other factors may play a roll and interfere as well depending..... VHF Antenna, Bimini Top, etc. There will always be something! Just move stuff while fishing. NBD

I would do the bow seat mount and just move poles if needed, if you are running boards you will probably have four poles in use anyway. I do not think I would go with the mount on the prow. That would make it difficult to handle lines and control the boat I think. The tow lines would be too far forward.

1 hour ago, Lunderdog said:

X2 on my Alaskan, also used the bow seat mount for the mast.

I like it in that spot. Easy to grab the tow lines and you can reach around and get a hand on the wheel if the wind pushes the boat a little wonky. Even with the I-Pilot it sometimes want to head places I dont want to go and always at the worst times!

I guess the general consensus is that my original plan isn't going to work.

I had always planned on using the seat mount, but figured that farther forward might perform better. It never really occurred to me that handling the tow lines and setting up would be harder.

As for the rod storage being in the way, most of those slots are full, even if we have 6 lines in the water. I like to have immediate replacements ready for breakoffs, tangles, or just a quick program switch. So shifting stuff around on turns isn't really practical. I think ifishy's suggestion of just breaking them down is my best choice. Its really just a few seconds added to the process to put it together.

Thanks for your ideas, guys! Keep 'em coming if you have any more.

44 minutes ago, Shakemsam said:

On my 16' Smoker, I mounted it to the bow seat post as well, due to the trolling motor. However, I would have preferred it on the bow. Now, I run inlines for the reasons mentioned as well as..I hated the boards taking up so much room.

My boards pull so hard if I had a mast mount all the way forward I would have to stand on the Gunnels, and lean out to grab the line every time. Seems like it would be a **** setting lines and almost dangerous with any chop. To each his own...

My boards pull so hard if I had a mast mount all the way forward I would have to stand on the Gunnels, and lean out to grab the line every time. Seems like it would be a **** setting lines and almost dangerous with any chop. To each his own...

Use a curtain clip on a string tied to the gunnel, when your ready to put a release on just pull the string to you and grab the mainline.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

24 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Use a curtain clip on a string tied to the gunnel, when your ready to put a release on just pull the string to you and grab the mainline.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great idea ! Even with my bow seat mounted mast that would simplify things. I have a bunch of small paracord that would be just the ticket...thanks

Looks like tow line on drivers side will be sawing your face in half unless you get a tall mast. Bow mount will be sawing on your stored rods.  Ideally,  the farther forward the better. I use the string retrieve curtain hooks but they need to be round plastic ones not wire ones that are keyhole shaped ( on the tow line end).  Keyhole shaped one's wrap them selves around the tow line when its windy and wavy because they aren't symmetrical. By the way, in a tight turn when your not paying attention, the tow line can get under your rod line guides and flip your vertical stored or fished rods right out of the boat if they aren't locked in. I've seen it happen.

This may be a dumb comment,...  but, has anyone ever thought of or tried to use a 15’ outrigger arm mounted in a way as to run a planner board off one side of the boat with some type of reel mounted on the base of the outrigger arm? 

It would be like a hybrid between an outrigger and a planer board mast ? 

The reel would be something heavy duty like those found on a mast.  Use a Downrigger weight retriever to pull your board line close enough to load your clip- fishing line.  Let the force of the water pull your line out towards to board.  Have 2-3 rod holders mounted on a tree behind the far outrigger arm ?  

Maybe the Outrigger arm wouldn’t need to be very long, say 6’ ?  I don’t really like the concept of in-line planer boards.  What say you ?  Should I run to the patent office, lol ?  

I ran big boards on Ontario and Erie for 20-25 years. Could not believe inlines were a better way. About 10 years ago I give inlines a good try. I'll never go back to big boards. One big difference is you gotta get used to watching the boards and not the rods. That was hard for me. I'm convinced that Inlines set up not to release put more fish in the boat. No slack and constant pressure on the fish is why.  On my current boat I use track. On starboard and port gunwales theres 48" of traxsteck track.  Furthest back on each track is a rigger. Forward of that are 4 adjustable traxstech rod holders. Think this would be a more efficent setup for you. There is some investment into track, rod holders, and inline boards. Lots of choices on track and holders. Cannon,Berts,Cisco,and Traxstech. Think there all good. Really like the Cannon rod holders even though I don't have them. We use Church Walleye boards with Lockjaw releases. The plastic pin on back of board is replaced with a stainless steel pin . We spin the board 5-6 time on the pin before putting line in the Lockjaw. Anyhow thats my HO. Best of luck to you this coming season. Hope its a great one for all of us.

My bow seat mounted mast is about 6.5 feet off the deck and the bow deck is 14" higher than the rear deck. With boards out I have to stand  in the walk thru and reach up to grab a line. Have never had a line within two or three feet of my head. I have and do run four Church inline boards as well but each method has situations that they are better suited for. Running in and out of pin buoys or in a good chop, pulling big boards is the way to go. Plus I have never had to clear lines with the big boards.  I would also not try running four inlines off one side of the boat, something easily done sliding lines down a big board setup. They each have advantages and disadvantages I suppose. They both catch fish!

I bought a set of inline boards a couple seasons ago. I love them and they changed my fishing for the better. But can anyone who swears by them honestly say that its fun to fight a fish with a board attached?

Thats why I'm trying this. I'm a DIYer, so my biggest investment will be time.

I've been reading this site for a long time, and it seems its about 50/50 between inline and big board guys. So its really just one respected opinion vs another. There's absolutely a time and a place for inlines and I'll still use them. Just doing a little experimenting.

My comment wasn't intended to bash big boards as in really rough water situations they run better than most inlines and I started out with them and used them for years during the 70's through 90's, and you can easily run more than one line from them, but they can be a lot of work in heavy traffic so I simplified my game by using the inlines. I also use outriggers from time to time which a lot of folks don't care for but in heavy traffic folks usually stay away from you when they see them deployed. All of it has pluses and minuses so you have to try it and see what works for your own situation.

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

My comment wasn't intended to bash big boards as in really rough water situations they run better than most inlines and I started out with them and used them for years during the 70's through 90's, and you can easily run more than one line from them, but they can be a lot of work in heavy traffic so I simplified my game by using the inlines. I also use outriggers from time to time which a lot of folks don't care for but in heavy traffic folks usually stay away from you when they see them deployed. All of it has pluses and minuses so you have to try it and see what works for your own situation.

No I got ya...feel the same. Different tactics for different situations... I also like using the Church stern planers down the chute 200'+ back from the boat. Picked up a lot of fish that way and they stay out of the way! Easy to deploy and retrieve too. Same issue with traffic though, gotta watch for yahoos cutting across the stern!

On that size of a boat, I would not install a planer board mast. Up to three rods each side, run inlines, four or more, run big boards.

With that said, if you do go with a mast and big boards, use the red medium size rubber bands between the release and your line. You half hitch the rubberband around your fishing line and put it in the release. You can buy these at FishUSA. If its rough, you may need to half hitch two rubber bands together and use them as one long rubber band.

As far as pulling the tow line in, retractable dog leashes work great. Just clip onto the tow line and wire tie or attach the dog leash handle somewhere near your windshield.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk