Color spectrum

Messing around making trolling flys,( not selling.. )I understand the with the color spectrum that red goes to black first as you go deeper and so uv reflects best deep. So on the ROYGBIV scale what's some of y'alls go to and why.. early, mid day, high sun, depth running... go..

20210305_125330.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Orange and reds down to 50 ft or so . 

Then blues ,greens and glows deeper than that .

Try the pearl / mirage bottom left for high Sun days. A Mirage Atomic has been a good one for me high Sun at all depths .

Also   try  a  little green mix  with white 

They look good . 

My best all around Spin Dr is a double crush glow white . Followed by a white green dot . 

• Like 1

I am old school.Back when I started in the fingerlakes old timers used to say on overcast days run black and purple.  Silver copper, silver gold, brass, white or green on days when the sun is high depending on water color.  That being said I have dodgers , rota-tors that I have painted up black and purple . My thought if it works on overcast low light days it should work deep.   It does...I also will run copper gold deep.

As for ROYGBIV  I  run red trebles. But its really hard to tell if it makes a difference. I think red hooks look good.

• Like 1

The ROYGBIV sounds good and may be the case but it should also be noted that it is based on HUMAN vision. We know that fish eyesight may be different than humans as they are suspected of being able to respond to UV rays etc. so I wouldn't treat the theory as the word of God either. The fact that black or purple or the combination may work well could be because they are dark  and contrast with the sky as "shadows" and the action (e.g. movement in the water) of the lure may be a factor in combination with with the contrasting shape of the lure.  Who really knows? What I am trying to illustrate is that we can't always make assumptions based on incomplete information just as in blindly following the depth charts may be quite misleading.

• Like 1

I fully agree John. The fun is in trying to figure the stuff out and listening to what they are telling us:lol:

• Like 1