for sale : usa Fly rod collectors

I have an antique bamboo fly rod made in the 40's from the Berkshires in MA I'm looking to sell. The rod is in very nice shape but I don't have a clue on where I would list it. Any collectors here or anybody able to give me any direction of where to list it?

Thanks

Glen

The value depends on the condition, the maker and the length. I've bought and sold dozens of them over the years (I'm an antique dealer). The market has gone down considerably  in the last few years but the higher end ones are still in demand. The most common length is 9' but the shorter 7' and 8' usually bring more. Look on the reel seat or on the rod itself for a maker. Even the commercial makers such as South Bend, Horrick-ibbotson, Montague, etc. will bring $30 to $50+ on Ebay but some of the custom makers will bring a lot more.

2 hours ago, kkokanovich said:

Try researching it on eBay to see if any have been sold there

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

24 minutes ago, Rickbgm said:

The value depends on the condition, the maker and the length. I've bought and sold dozens of them over the years (I'm an antique dealer). The market has gone down considerably  in the last few years but the higher end ones are still in demand. The most common length is 9' but the shorter 7' and 8' usually bring more. Look on the reel seat or on the rod itself for a maker. Even the commercial makers such as South Bend, Horrick-ibbotson, Montague, etc. will bring $30 to $50+ on Ebay but some of the custom makers will bring a lot more.

Thanks for your input. The rod is completely original including finish, windings, guides and handle. It was made in Amherst MA by the Amherst fishing rod company somewhere in the mid 40's. It's been fished but well taken care of. No warping ect. This is probably not an ebay sale or purchase for resale type deal and I'm looking for some type of media to reach serious buyers. Can you give me any leads as far as that would go?

fly1.thumb.jpg.d0907542b64d6ad8fac244d8c9c488b9.jpg

fly2.thumb.jpg.a2378fb738b8c9d5ca57ca08aeee73ca.jpg

fly3.thumb.jpg.57fe7bff05ef1be23675c98920c48d7f.jpg

fly4.thumb.jpg.c011d0e800c0f23366514162dc46cd29.jpg

It looks to be either 8 1/2'  or  9' with 2 tips which is usually the way they were sold. Amherst was from around 1950 the rods usually have the fly rod weight on them but it could have worn off. They were a small maker only in business for a few years and the rod today is worth maybe in the $150 to $200 range. As I said they have dropped considerably in the last few years as have many antiques and collectables.  There are several auctions that specialize in old fishing tackle but like most auctions they have not been running for the last year due to covid. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

27 minutes ago, Rickbgm said:

It looks to be either 8 1/2'  or  9' with 2 tips which is usually the way they were sold. Amherst was from around 1950 the rods usually have the fly rod weight on them but it could have worn off. They were a small maker only in business for a few years and the rod today is worth maybe in the $150 to $200 range. As I said they have dropped considerably in the last few years as have many antiques and collectables.  There are several auctions that specialize in old fishing tackle but like most auctions they have not been running for the last year due to covid. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Thanks again. It's an 8 1/2 ft 4-5 weight. The markings are still there just on a different side of the rod. Looks like I'll hold on to it and take it out and catch a few trout with it this spring and see if the prices come back up in the next few years.

I appreciate the time you took to respond.

Edited by spoonfed-1

25 minutes ago, TCIII said:

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86127

Maybe start here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tried there 6 or so years ago. All I got was pissed off by the PMed offers I got. Although some information about the rod was good posted by a couple of guys. Rod was put back into the closet and been in there since. Any other ideas?

Edited by spoonfed-1

Tried there 6 or so years ago. All I got was pissed off by the PMed offers I got. Although some information about the rod was good posted by a couple of guys. Rod was put back into the closet and been in there since. Any other ideas?

Yes, fish it!

33 minutes ago, TCIII said:

Yes, fish it!

Did you read post?

First line says "looking to sell" but thanks for your advice.

After Rickbgm mentioned the prices are down now I figure I'll go up into the Berkshires on a nice warm spring day after the water in the rivers recedes a bit, catch a few trout with it and hit a couple local fly shops and talk to the guys to see if I can get a lead or two. There are a lot of nice trout streams up in the area it was made.

Edited by spoonfed-1