Trolling speeds for browns

So I normally fish for browns at a range from 1.8mph to 2.5 but recently read that browns like steelhead like much higher speeds . when I an offshore in search mode for kings and steelhead I run optimizers at 3.7 to 4.0 mph and do very well. What do you think a max speed could be for a good summer time Brown bight? 

50 minutes ago, hard knox said:

So I normally fish for browns at a range from 1.8mph to 2.5 but recently read that browns like steelhead like much higher speeds . when I an offshore in search mode for kings and steelhead I run optimizers at 3.7 to 4.0 mph and do very well. What do you think a max speed could be for a good summer time Brown bight? 

Ive crawled for browns with flutter spoons and evil eyes (1.4-1.8) and also have speed trolled with NKs and DWs regular size (2.5-3.1). Statistics favor a slower trolling speed for browns (or at least the big ones on my boat). Generally speaking I tend to be a very slow troller in comparison to the other boats out there. Water conditions dictate bait choices and bait choices dictate speed. 

• Like 1

You may wish to look at the issue from a little different angle. Specific speeds relate to a host of different variables or factors and even speed ranges as well. It may be more important to consider the best speeds at which the lures that you are running operate best at. Big differences in sticks and spoons and lengths of lines away from boat etc. What may run well for one boat may not for another depending on all these variables so it may be more important to run compatible lures and set-ups and check your particular lures at the side of the boat etc. Browns are opportunists  so seeing something appearing "vulnerable" or wounded may be more important than anything.

Edited by Sk8man

Was reading Dan Keating big water wisdom and he mentioned browns liked higher speeds . got me thinking could I run my optimizers for them they don't start working until 3.2 mph and up. When I run them I pull only them they can do some damage on steelhead and kings on the right day.