Spin-N-Glo - skirt or no skirt?

I really got bit by the flasher spin-n-glo setup this spring to the point I started making my own skirts. I find they really extend the morning bite once the fish aren’t as active. 

I see on eBay some folks sell them without a skirt all rigged up with beads.  

Do folks use them without skirts on the FLX? 

There goes the smelly jelly secret. Just kidding. It doesn't help, at all. Do not do it. Your arms will dislike it.

There's days and times of day where the exact same rig with a skirt will out fish no skirt. (Same color spin n glow), as well as days the no skirt will out fish as well. Also, I have some where barely any skirt is left but a new one of the color will not work as well as the worn out rig.. Fish are weird at times...

I do like single spin n glows behind a trash can though.... long leads.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good topic. The short version is whatever lure you choose they will have good days (or time of day) and bad days. If you are running through fish and not getting hit change something.

Spin & Glows definitely have their place in your tacklebox. I like to make my own and use both, with and without a skirt. They generally produce lake trout but you'll occasionally get salmon and rainbows also. My leads behind a 8" dodger is 31".

This rainbow was caught Oct 3rd, 2020420108674_SGRainbow.thumb.jpg.9c28fec61ad338b06a1568ce1f1c76f7.jpg

• Like 2

Good topic. The short version is whatever lure you choose they will have good days (or time of day) and bad days. If you are running through fish and not getting hit change something.

Spin & Glows definitely have their place in your tacklebox. I like to make my own and use both, with and without a skirt. They generally produce lake trout but you'll occasionally get salmon and rainbows also. My leads behind a 8" dodger is 31".

This rainbow was caught Oct 3rd, 2020420108674_SGRainbow.thumb.jpg.9c28fec61ad338b06a1568ce1f1c76f7.jpg

That’s a good looking color!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They are awesome for Lake O browns when the bite slows down!
IMG_5679.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Used to be able to order spin n glows directly from Yakima. You could buy bags of 25. Then they went to bags of 3. Can not seem to do that anymore.On their site they list various vendors to order from but none sell the color I want. I just tied my last two up last weekend.:'(

On 4/1/2021 at 8:15 AM, Fishstix said:

Used to be able to order spin n glows directly from Yakima. You could buy bags of 25. Then they went to bags of 3. Can not seem to do that anymore.On their site they list various vendors to order from but none sell the color I want. I just tied my last two up last weekend.:'(

I can get bags if you want.  They are slow to get here but you have a way!  I am also selling plain spin n glos on my website.  I have a couple colors right now but will be adding more in the future.  

Edited by GAMBLER

I don't use smelly jelly. I use pro-cure. Herring oil. I also use rainbow trout oil too. they have alewife oil . Pro-cure is probably the best product on the market. go to their web page and see what they have to offer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SamonSez said:

Favorite formula (or two) of smelly jelly?

Herring is the best one I have found.  All I do is dip the hook into the smelly jelly every time it goes down.  

On 4/10/2021 at 7:27 PM, adesalvo said:

Thanks all for such an informative thread. Had a great day pulling cowbells on lake O using smelly jelly on spin n glo mags with skirts from gambler and one I tied myself.  

4B066B74-6701-4859-8309-0CA068DF9361.jpeg

That rig on the right is an expensive one.  Those Whirly Gigs are cost an arm and a leg!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...