Toungannock {SP} launch 3/8

Im covidcaptive so I took a ride up to check out the launch. I did not measure the water depth but i would guess a couple ft deep.I did measure from the center of the bridge to top of the water it was 9 1/2 ft.  There was some skim ice That I think you would get into turning the boat around.      Years ago up at Hughes I launched into skim ice and knocked the transducers off the back of the boat.

cl.jpg

cl2.jpg

• Like 3

I’ve waded out there many times over the past years wearing chest wader armed with an ice spud to break it up enough so not to harm the transducers. You’re right about the depth Fishstix, probably less than 2 ft, was tight this past weekend launching there. Lake level has no where to go but up. 1st picture shows current level, 2nd picture was 2020’s levels. Usually starts to rise around 2nd week of March, with the snowpack still in the hills south of lake and warm weather this week it might be coming up sooner than later. IMG_1685.JPGIMG_1403.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I’ve waded out there many times over the past years wearing chest wader armed with an ice spud to break it up enough so not to harm the transducers. You’re right about the depth Fishstix, probably less than 2 ft, was tight this past weekend launching there. Lake level has no where to go but up. 1st picture shows current level, 2nd picture was 2020’s levels. Usually starts to rise around 2nd week of March, with the snowpack still in the hills south of lake and warm weather this week it might be coming up sooner than later. IMG_1685.thumb.JPG.7def8f37947b45835eeea1a6c30a85ba.JPGIMG_1403.thumb.JPG.fabe8e4aa53ba539c60ce0c7f5b5067a.JPG

I’ve stopped by the launch a few times to check it out this year. It seems the bubbler was not working as well as this year, as it it had in past winters.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It might be that the super cold spells gave the bubbler some challenges. My trips out mid winter have sometimes been through a very narrow path of open water. Busting up a turn around in the ice is normal for me. 

During one mid winter visit another boat had drifted out of the channel and was stranded up on the ice in a strong wind. The guy wanted me to come out with my boat and get him. I opted to stay on shore and we used an anchor line to pull him back into the channel. I decided to bail on going out that day.

The other challenge at Taughannock can be how shallow it gets just after you go under the bridge. Knowing to stay to the south side of the chute has been crucial in past years. Speaking of the bridge...it is a big boat stopper for sure.

I’ve stopped by the launch a few times to check it out this year. It seems the bubbler was not working as well as this year, as it it had in past winters.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Extended periods of cold, bubbler can’t keep up, imo. Hopefully everyone keeps their motors up so the tubing doesn’t get damaged.