Spoon size and browns

I usually use Michigan stinger and equivalent sized spoons with good success on nice sized browns. Would I be increasing my odds and catches if I dropped down in size to their scorpion model or a smaller sized spoon overall or would I be catching alot more smaller fish by doing this?

Stinger is the good size. Used to be sutton 31, clearwater 101 and the like were staple BT spoons in the spring.... the 4X4 rig is my favorite. 4 foot back and 4 food down with an all silver spoon in this size the fish will come right into the prop wash and nail it, all you have to do is net it!! I prefered the ones with a single hook on them.

Put the other riggers back 30 - 50 ' with color pattern spoons on them frog, goby ect. you will do fine.

CC

If you want to try something other than stingers, try some of the DW Super Slims. They are close to the same size. CBish, last year we took quite a few browns on the Clearwater 101 and 171 in the beginning of August, got some on honeybee stingers too. It was funny getting back to the dock with a cooler of browns and telling people, that they took clearwaters and honeybees, not many people knew what we were talking about.

Heres a pic of a couple for those who havent seen them. From left to right, Honeybee Stinger, Clearwater 101, and (2) Clearwater 171

aVnqgO0.jpg

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anything but stingers if you ask me. Stingers are high priced and the paint washes off. They should cost about 50¢ a piece and that's more than they are worth. Go with the Dreamweaver ss great spoons and the paint stays on!!

The really big browns can't resist the small honey bee lures for some reason....sometimes smaller IS better :lol:

Anything but stingers if you ask me. Stingers are high priced and the paint washes off. They should cost about 50¢ a piece and that's more than they are worth. Go with the Dreamweaver ss great spoons and the paint stays on!!

Absolutely, don't use stingers, they won't catch any browns.Throw the ones you have my way and I'll dispose of them.

silverfoxcharters.net

I never said they won't catch fish. Just that the paint falls off of them. And their so called customer service is as bad as the paint on the spoons! I highly recommend dream weaver or bergys spoons ( the rumors are true they are back in buisines). You can spend your $ any way you like but I expect my spoons to last more than one trip.

I never said they won't catch fish. Just that the paint falls off of them. And their so called customer service is as bad as the paint on the spoons! I highly recommend dream weaver or bergys spoons ( the rumors are true they are back in buisines). You can spend your $ any way you like but I expect my spoons to last more than one trip.

Dreamweavers are nice but you can not get good action out of them at slow speeds.  They are a heavier blank. 

How slow are you going that you can't get action out of them?

Down to 1.7-1.8. Dreamweavers and nk's have very little action if any at all at that speed. The paint does suck but they are more speed tolerant. Look at the LOC leaderboard and see what Tom Allen is using. Stingers.......

speed and bait sizes are every thing. some days they want bigger baits, some days they want smaller baits. Evil eyes, DW Superslims, and stingrays are my top 3 spoon choices for chasing browns