Mono vs Flouro Leaders

Have done some reading and wondered what the experienced folks say about the need for fluorocarbon leaders. Seems like there are more benefits to keeping it simple with mono, especially with a wire diver.

If you don’t mind, can you please be specific about your reasons as I would really like to understand the thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Each material has its best uses and strengths and weaknesses.

Mono has varying degrees of stretch depending on the brand, pound test etc. and usually is larger diameter than fluoro of the same pound test. Fluoro has a harder outer surface and in many cases is more abrasion resistant; but it is also more brittle in the cold weather and at the terminal knot. Fluoro is reputed to have a less visible signature in the water than mono as well as the lesser diameter making it a good choice for shallow water situations especially, and often with long leads in that situation you may not wish to have much more stretch in your line. On the other hand, when lines are run deep mono may be preferred as there is usually more tension in the line and when the leader is paired with braid, wire, or copper which have little to no stretch it acts to buffer strong abrupt hits from fish and perhaps even occasional contact with underwater objects or touching bottom (instead of an instant "snap-off). I use both materials selectively but many folks use just one or the other. I tie my own trolling flies with 50 lb Big Game mono after experiencing a couple snap-offs from vicious hits on flies I bought that were tied with fluoro. My feeling is that the mono offers just a little needed stretch on the fly termination when there is none from the wire or braid. You will find hard core adherents to both materials but my take on it is that they are both good but it depends on specific use.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

Baddad  we've been using the trilene big game fmono for our leaders and mainlines without issue its pretty inexpensive and seems to take abrasion pretty well  so it can be changed out often if needed we found when connecting it to the wire it was beneficial to have that stretch especially due to the fact the wire dosent  stretch and with flouro it can be brittle at inopportune times if you know what i mean  

Don I think I would be concerned about the chemical reaction of the fluoro with the glue. I use a clinch knot with 7 wraps and wety cinch it until totally tight....have never had one give.

• Like 1

I have a few skinny water rods spooled with flouro to the spool. 8lb Seagar, caught my biggest brown on it.
Who knows, it might have hit a Gary D or Gambler rig but when you run something and it pays off you’re both blessed and screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

No worries here Keepin, I welcome the discussion!  Whaler on the flouro reel for skinny water, what are using to control depth, or aren't you? 

1 hour ago, whaler1 said:

Stealth number one.
Obviously on meat rigs, spinny fly, I don’t. But if it pulls a spoon or body bait the leader is flouro.

x2 and also use fluoro on my Seth Green leaders on the Finger Lakes

Edited by Sk8man

Downriggers with long leads (120 feet ish)
Two planers 150 foot ish,
One rigger down five by and back ten in the prop wash with a 28.

The Jury is still out with me on Fluro. 

Other than stealth , and the fact while fly fishing  , it sinks and pulls the fly down , I see no advantage . And a lot of disadvantages . Which I have experienced .

Colored water close , not needed . 

Mono is much stronger and forgiving IMO . 

While we are on the topic I will add that the Berkely Big Game mono although very inexpensive in the 10-50 lb test range is some of the most durable and strong mono I have ever used. I used the saltwater version for years (Hombre) in the past and I have used nearly every brand of mono over the years and I have the most faith in the consistent performance of the Big Game line. The Vanish fluoro from them is the absolute worst line though.

Edited by Sk8man

16 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Each material has its best uses and strengths and weaknesses.

Mono has varying degrees of stretch depending on the brand, pound test etc. and usually is larger diameter than fluoro of the same pound test. Fluoro has a harder outer surface and in many cases is more abrasion resistant; but it is also more brittle in the cold weather and at the terminal knot. Fluoro is reputed to have a less visible signature in the water than mono as well as the lesser diameter making it a good choice for shallow water situations especially, and often with long leads in that situation you may not wish to have much more stretch in your line. On the other hand, when lines are run deep mono may be preferred as there is usually more tension in the line and when the leader is paired with braid, wire, or copper which have little to no stretch it acts to buffer strong abrupt hits from fish and perhaps even occasional contact with underwater objects or touching bottom (instead of an instant "snap-off). I use both materials selectively but many folks use just one or the other. I tie my own trolling flies with 50 lb Big Game mono after experiencing a couple snap-offs from vicious hits on flies I bought that were tied with fluoro. My feeling is that the mono offers just a little needed stretch on the fly termination when there is none from the wire or braid. You will find hard core adherents to both materials but my take on it is that they are both good but it depends on specific use.

Nothing more to be said. I think overall fluoro is the better choice, and I try and keep it simple and stick with that.

I spool my Tekota spoon/stickbait reels with 20Lb Fluorocarbon, then just snip off a few yards occasionally, when needed, eliminates at least one connection/failure point.

good luck 

John 

18 hours ago, keepin it reel said:

Baddad  we've been using the trilene big game fmono for our leaders and mainlines without issue its pretty inexpensive and seems to take abrasion pretty well  so it can be changed out often if needed we found when connecting it to the wire it was beneficial to have that stretch especially due to the fact the wire dosent  stretch and with flouro it can be brittle at inopportune times if you know what i mean  

Same here for years... body baits and spoons get a flouro. leader, everything else is straight mono.

19 hours ago, keepin it reel said:

keep;

I have been using fluorocarbon for the last twenty years, & only had trouble with Berkley fluorocarbon ever , so if you are having trouble with brittleness, probably time to get a fresh spool. Just an errant thought????

good luck!

john