Sturgeon

Billy V

I caught a 36 incher on a fly-in trip to Canada about 15 years ago using a piece of pepperoni for bait, no kidding. It fought like crazy. We filleted it and tried to eat it, but spit it right out. Very soft & mushy. Kinda like eating fish flavored oatmeal. Never again.

I was surprised at how hard they fought. They pull very, very hard all the way to the boat, and we even had a few jump out of the water like a steelie would. I was very impressed with their fighting ability. Fishing for them is like fishing for bullheads....stick some meat on the hook, chuck it out there and wait for the rod to twitch.

As for eating them, I don't know. The guide told me that the fillets had a consistencey of a swordfish, but tasted like a combo of frog legs and halibut...whatever that tastes like. The guys I was fishing with were all over the fillets. They seemed to love them.

Fun day of fishing though.

Nice pics Billy, those are White Sturgeon correct?

What we have around here are Lake Sturgeon. I've caught several over the years in the Menominee River which runs between Wisconsin and the Upper Peninnsula of Michigan. You see them jumping and rolling at the base of the dam just above the Hattie St Bridge in Marinette, Wisconsin. some of those fish will go 8-9 feet and 200+ lbs.

They are a hoot to catch, strong fight and jump quite a bit. The biggest I've landed so far was 60 lbs, which was fun. I was drifting night crawlers for walleye in the river using a 7' ML Ugly Stock and 8 lb mono when I took that one. They have an open season fior them there but I've never been in Marinette at that time of year.

very cool looking fish.

Tim

Bill, was your guides name Dennis Hull?. Kind of looks like him from what I remember, he being the maker of the Flash-Rattle and Dive. Just interested if so, if he made mention of them and how sales were going. Also, has anyone tried them last year? As Tim mentioned, neat looking fish.

Yes, it was Dennis Hull, and we talked a lot about the FRD. Sales have been good for him. He showed me a few rigging tips that I was missing, and I plan to give them another try out at the Bar this spring. Heck of a nice guy.

Sturgeon are good to eat. I've actually run it at a couple of restaurants I've worked at and people seemed to love it, but then again maybe it's the guy preparing it so good :shock: ;):lol:. Billy as far as the rigging tips can you pass them along to us that have the FRD. Do you have a e-mail address for Dennis I need to get the new plastic directional wing for mine from him.

Thanks

P.S BILLY,NICE OF DENNIS TO LET YOU WEAR HIS COAT :P;)

Sturgeon are good to eat. I've actually run it at a couple of restaurants I've worked at and people seemed to love it, but then again maybe it's the guy preparing it so good :shock: ;):lol:.

That must be it. ;)

don't think I'd eat them tho...)

Refered to the "Genny" Brand of sturgeon... :roll:

Couple/few years ago DEC put a few in the Genny. Last yr was a big article in D&C that DEC said they were doing well. Possession is illegal though & probably will be for many years.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Really nice fish Billy. Must have been a lot of fun!

I found a floater in lake Ontario last fall on my way from stony creek over to the power plant. I netted it to show my 7 yr old what they look like. It wasn't real big, maybe 30". He saw it first...said "what's that dad"? The sturgen was dead for a day or two. It was pretty ripe so I didn't check it out for very long.

I'd rather check them out ala Billy V style:)

Rod

I've read before in some outdoors magazines that somewhere out west I think in the snake river (Colorado)? That people actually wrestle in the water with the sturgeon. They must be a different species that don't have the sharp ridges. There are monster sturgeon in the Niagara river and walleye and trout fisherman hook into them every once in a while. But like you guys stated before possesion is illegal in New York.