New USCG requirements

Missed thus part!

If the boat was built after January 1 2020, older boats aren't required to have it is what I read, scroll down the link to where "requirements" is printed in red and click on it! They spell it out rather nice!

Q6. What boats need to have an Engine Cut-Off Switch installed?
A6. Boats less than 26 feet in length that generate more than 115lbs of static thrust (~ 2-3hp) and were built beginning in January 2020. If the boats’ primary helm is inside an enclosed cabin it is not required to have an Engine Cut-Off Switch.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I found this clarifying remark in the FAQs: 

Q12. Do I need to keep the Engine Cut-Off Switch Link attached at all times?

A12. No. The Engine Cut-Off Switch Link doesn’t need to be attached when the vessel is idling, performing docking maneuvers or just going slow. The Engine Cut-Off Swith Link must be attached whenever the boat is operating on plane or greater than displacement speed

Engine/Propulsion Cut-Off Devices (uscgboating.org)

Important note for small-boat trollers.

• Like 1

I have got to wonder how this will really be enforced? Patrol will not have any idea if you are using a lanyard until after you are stopped at which point you are not required to have it connected. My guess it will only be used in cases of actual runaways.

• Like 1

So as I read this, when trolling with my 115 outboard at 2 - 3 mph I would not need my lanyard attached to me. However at high speeds up on plane the lanyard must be attached.  Does this seem correct?  Would not effect trolling.

Edited by RWR1775