Skunk on 3/10/21

With the forecast, had  to give it a try after reading some good reports..   When I got to the ramp at Taughannock, I was shocked.. Lines to get in to the ramp at daybreak, in 28 degree weather.. It was packed!... All the docks and bulkheads in the park were railed as well!

The water at the ramp is really low, and I mean a  foot deep, maybe 18 inches at best,- almost  up to the footbridge.

Guys with power tilt were ok, barely, but had to go really slow.. In my 14 footer with  a 30 HP without tilt 2 stroke,
 I had to paddle almost to the bridge before I could go under power...

Fishing was dead for me and everyone I talked to or saw...

Water was 33 degrees , and the highest I recorded anywhere was 34.8... Thats a  tiny tick above ice.

Steady south wind with caps, bright sunny bluebird skies.. Not my favored conditions,, Bright sun,  white caps and ice water.. I know some guys can clean up and  have a great day in those conditions ,  but not me...

Tons of guys fishing everywhere, in boats and from shore.. Looked like a May day when the trout are being caught everywhere...

Despite the nice day, it was cold on the lake even after the sun was high.. Strong breeze across 33 degree water will do that I suppose...

Most guys were using planers, did not see any boats using their downriggers.. I ran 2 flatlines, hundreds of feet back which usually works ok for me... I am not a big troller, and typically only do it when the fish are shallow, and can be caught flatlining or casting..
 Anyway, it was  good to get out as they say, but I think I will wait a few weeks until the south end turns on a little bit... bob

Edited by bulletbob
  • Like 1

Definitely slowed down over the last couple weeks. Only 5/6 today. Nothing like it was during mid February. Such is fishing. Still in top 3 foot. Ran an 8 rod spread. Flies, UV green and yellow were best. Got this old feller out today and took em home for the grill. IMG_2785.JPGIMG_2780.JPG

Doc

• Like 3

On 3/13/2021 at 3:35 PM, Doc said:

Definitely slowed down over the last couple weeks. Only 5/6 today. Nothing like it was during mid February. Such is fishing. Still in top 3 foot. Ran an 8 rod spread. Flies, UV green and yellow were best. Got this old feller out today and took em home for the grill. IMG_2785.JPGIMG_2780.JPG

Doc

Doc how did the Landlocks fight in that cold water

49 minutes ago, Trouthunter said:

Doc how did the Landlocks fight in that cold water

Strong fish despite the water temp, one of them jumped twice and one other took 4 leaps out of the water.

I give credit to those that can catch any fish at all in water thats 33-34 degrees.. I was never any good at it...

I still use small swimming plugs, as we did for decades, but these days it seems guys that troll with streamers catch  more fish in very cold water... I have no idea where to even buy good streamers for trolling in the Finger lakes, or what patterns  to use.. Maybe someone can enlighten me?...   Are these run with a  split shot or two to get them down a few feet?.. Are they weighted?.. I have caught fish trolling hair/marbou jigs in the past, but I am sure streamers would be a lot better... no idea how to get started.... bob

8 hours ago, bulletbob said:

I give credit to those that can catch any fish at all in water thats 33-34 degrees.. I was never any good at it...

I still use small swimming plugs, as we did for decades, but these days it seems guys that troll with streamers catch  more fish in very cold water... I have no idea where to even buy good streamers for trolling in the Finger lakes, or what patterns  to use.. Maybe someone can enlighten me?...   Are these run with a  split shot or two to get them down a few feet?.. Are they weighted?.. I have caught fish trolling hair/marbou jigs in the past, but I am sure streamers would be a lot better... no idea how to get started.... bob

Run them with keel sinkers, about 10 ft floro leader 8lb test on Cayuga, 1/4-5/8oz depending on the side of the boat, heavier weight on the outside to get just a bit deeper, lighter on the inside to not get hung up on the bottom in the skinny water. The flies themselves are not weighted. I tie my own. They run anywhere from 2.5-5 ft below the surface. I have run them with no weight in front of them and have caught fish. I use the weight to give myself piece of mind that they stay below the surface. Landlocks absolutely love them, but all trout species will chew on them.

Just like you I remember pulling jigs!!!

Back 20 years ago in my Dad's 12ft aluminum on some cold January-March days, a 12' noodle rod out one side, another one out the back and me holding a 10' noodle out the other jigging it as we trolled with the 7.5 hp Merc. Spinning reels spooled with 4lb test. We would crush the salmon. Good times.

Things have evolved, the streamers are the same concept as the jigs, just a little different approach.  

• Like 2

Doc, nice looking fish man!

Bullet Bob, I wish you had a better day but I remember Ray saying years ago that we can't rush it.  Probably two months out from 50° on the surface, although it looks like some peeps are rocking it.  I'm dying to get back up on the water but I think Followed The Waves is due for a good bottom painting, so I am going to need some nice weather for a workday.  I plan to focus a little more on the Silvers this year and maybe do some casting.  Also hope to chase some Pike around later this spring.

Sea yacht soon, Seneca!

surface temp about 36 degrees. you have to find warmer water. bait and trout will be down with it. 39 degree water is the warmest water in the lake right now. 150 to 200 ft on the bottom. this time of year fish can be pretty easy to get if you know how to fish the bottom contour. if I launch out of deans cove and went over to long point and started fishing in 150 on bottom. I will have my limit.

I prefer sheldrake over deans cove area. sheldrake has more structure. troll in 150 on bottom and head south about 2 miles. this area can produce a lot of fish if its not to windy. the contour in front of deans can be good too but you have to troll north to find flat bottom. the secret you have to be on the bottom. fish are there, but you can't see them on the TV. most of fish will be on the smaller size around 18 to 25 inches. its very rare you will get anything bigger then this. big fish are there but all they do is follow your lure.best lures to use is dead bait and the peanut. this type of fishing is skilled fishing. you have to know something about the bottom of lake. if its to windy. you wont be able to keep your lure on the bottom. troll speed must be slow . to fast of speed you can keep lure on the bottom. I know those fish are there. you just have to find them. it sounds to me you like to jig. fish the structure. you will catch fish if you can find them.

I'm no jigger. you know more about it then me. I troll. maybe somebody can clime in here and help you out who likes to jig.  sheldrake is a good area to jig. just move around till you find the depth you need to get fish.