Access-Lake Ontario at the Isthmus

PFM

Has anyone with a 30’ boat or larger launched at this site? If so are there any challenges associated with it and if so what? I’m planning an early May trip to fish Chamount but have concerns about launching considering I can’t get in touch with any of the Marina’s for direction. Thanks

In my opinion it would be risky to launch there. Just outside the break wall there are some decent boulders and given the changes wind conditions you need to be very careful. Hidden harbor campground might be another option or Martin’s pier 2 would be better options depending on lake levels

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The isthmus is rather shallow and would be touchy in a boat that size especially with the current water level.. also a long run into the bay on open lake that can be unforgiving. We. Launch out of Longpoint st park and that puts u on the middle of good fishing, but no guarantee the docks will be in. Also the Chamount bay marina on the north side of 12 just west of the chamount river would be your best bet with a boat of that size, as it has permanent docks. Any other question hit me up

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Technically the Isthmus boat launch is not in Chaumont Bay, it is outside on the open lake. It is shallow, narrow, and can be very rough to get out of. It is a decent run to get inside the bay. With a boat that size, you would be better served launching in the village at Chaumont Bay Marina, or even at Henderson Harbor and motor across to Chaumont. The state launch in Chaumont is shallow, and can be tricky with a large boat, especially if you are not familiar with that launch area.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Lake Ontario United mobile app