Walleye/Northern Pike Run Conesus lake

Does anyone know a good date to start looking for the spawning run at the south end dam. I try to bring the kids to see it and I only caught the end last year in the first week of April. I’m thinking with colder winter it might be later this year. If anyone could cast their opinion it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just dug through my pictures from last year, and I have pictures of pike running April 1.  We also saw walleye in the side streams around that time too.

I can't for the life of my remember the order that they run.  I THINK it's walleye first, then pike, but it could very well be the other way around.

I just dug through my pictures from last year, and I have pictures of pike running April 1.  We also saw walleye in the side streams around that time too.

I can't for the life of my remember the order that they run.  I THINK it's walleye first, then pike, but it could very well be the other way around.

Pike first usually around April 1st as you said

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

Best all around experience is first nice day in early to middle of April.  Birds, fish, etc...  Bring polarized sun glasses and you won't have to look hard.  I loved taking my family but haven't done it in a while - teenagers.

4 minutes ago, BSmaster said:

Best all around experience is first nice day in early to middle of April.  Birds, fish, etc...  Bring polarized sun glasses and you won't have to look hard.  I loved taking my family but haven't done it in a while - teenagers.

My oldest (7) is already talking about "that time we went to see the fish" and wants to go back.  The kid loves fishing, and would go every day if I took him.

Took a ride down this AM, fair number of pike and suckers in the stream, but nothing huge size wise. Water is low, like everywhere else, just barely a trickle coming over the dam. Imagine several days or a week before the eyes start moving, but they are going to need some rain to get to the dam.

63908184138__19EC321D-0429-4E2B-90C7-354790AB09C3.thumb.JPG.97a385ec997c5a432b04daf3ac9d1c0b.JPGThere’s even less water than last week. At this point, I wouldn’t bother making the drive this year.

Or at minimum, don’t bother with the spillway. You’ll have to explore new areas. I’m hearing they’re staying in the lake, or close to it because of the low water and several beaver dams.

Went to the spillway yesterday. Wanted to show my son (and grandson) where it was. Spillway had very little water in it (as pictured above-thanks for picture ) so no fish there. There were 5 or 6 nice size pike in the deeper water close to the parking lot. Also 4 or 5 walleyes near the same area. Dozens of red finned rudds were up and down the stream. Grandson got a kick out of those. Quite the unique area. Hopefully there will be more water next year.

• Like 2