Low lake levels

Any info on the low lake levels?

Are they on purpose because of a predicted huge snow melt off?

Are they showing us how low they can go and fluctuate?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Apparently the lakes  upstream of us are at record highs levels . And weren't we told to expect high levels in LO because  of that ? 

Looks to me this is what happens when you pull the plug when you are suppose to  , like they use to do before they passed 2016 . 

"Lake Ontario dropped 3 inches in February and is now almost 2 feet lower than this time last year. Lake Ontario is predicted to be six inches to up to two feet lower than last year into this summer. Lake Ontario’s water levels are now dropping below the long-term average water level."

https://www.mlive.com/weather/2021/03/all-great-lakes-going-down-quickly-distancing-from-last-years-record-water-levels.html

• Like 1

Lake Ontario water levels usually peak around Memorial Day then drops.  Look at JD post chart. Aug and Sept water levels are lower than levels this time of year. LO trib water volumes have little effect on lake levels.  LO water levels are primarily controlled by the locks on the St Lawrence. After the last few years super high water you have no chance to slow the water releases,  Bottom line late summer will be worse

Lake Ontario water levels usually peak around Memorial Day then drops.  Look at JD post chart. Aug and Sept water levels are lower than levels this time of year. LO trib water volumes have little effect on lake levels.  LO water levels are primarily controlled by the locks on the St Lawrence. After the last few years super high water you have no chance to slow the water releases,  Bottom line late summer will be worse

The levels usually peak in mid June. Last year was an oddity due to higher outflows and the starting of the dry summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hope everything is usable.

All the shore people have been getting hit for years since 17, then 2020 and now maybe low water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

All Great Lakes are down from last year.  New York and most of the rest of the Great Lake states have been down for the last six months in terms of rain snow so right now there is nothing to indicate an upward trend.

I think every member of LOU needs to write our state and federal representatives urging them to work with IJC to immediately reduce the outflows for the next few weeks. Aside from the Tug there is little to no snow pack left. We cannot rely on having above average rainfall in April to raise the lake level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What I find interesting is that Ontario is showing itself to be a matter of inches below average and all these launches and harbors are too low to get boats into/out of.  Somebody explain.

Edited by RWR1775

5 hours ago, CopperJon said:

I think every member of LOU needs to write our state and federal representatives urging them to work with IJC to immediately reduce the outflows for the next few weeks. Aside from the Tug there is little to no snow pack left. We cannot rely on having above average rainfall in April to raise the lake level.

They reduced the flow for the start of the shipping season.

They reduced the flow for the start of the shipping season.
They're letting out more than what's flowing in. Check the IJC website. Hence the lake level continues to drop. The outflows need to be drastically reduced or 90% of the marinas and launches will not be useable, especially for larger boats and those with inboards

That's directly from the IJC

They're letting out more than what's flowing in. Check the IJC website. Hence the lake level continues to drop. The outflows need to be drastically reduced or 90% of the marinas and launches will not be useable, especially for larger boats and those with inboards

What I find interesting is that Ontario is showing itself to be a matter of inches below average and all these launches and harbors are too low to get boats into/out of.  Somebody explain.
I agree. in a post above someone said the lake has to come at least 2 to 3 ft.b last year it was 2 ft higher than it is at this same time frame based on IJC charts and people were concerned that a flood was coming again

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

about 8" lower than long term historical average for this time of year - many years guys aren't launching mid-March and to top it all off the last 30 months have been above the  historical average.  Army Corps of Engineers forecast (most probable range) shows it coming up a foot plus by April 15th.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 7:16 PM, Fat Trout said:

I expect they may lower it further once the Ottawa river spools up, which it looks like it is starting to do.  

The Salmon River is ripping as of yesterday also.  She is going to start filling up!