How much line is recommended for Brown trout fishing?

I have 4 Abu- Garcia 5300 reels. I am putting on 15 lb big Game. It looks like I can only get 205 yds on. I am considering putting 30 lb braid for backing to give me more line for the occasional King during spring fishing. I am considering 8 lb fluro leader. So how much line total would be recommended for the odd king in the mix? Is 300 yds with a 8 lb leader enough, or should I go with 300 yds and a 10 lb leader? I will be fishing a 21' Duckworth with 6 lines

Thanks

I have a 6500 that I have used for a light spring and rigger rod . It worked fine . I still use it as A spring brown rod . Before we had to use 30# for fleas I used it all summer . 

I would spool with 12# Big Game  which is more than enough and tippet off that .If the water is,stained the 12 # will be fine  alone . Then 10# Flouro , if it is clear water if you feel you need it. 

.when the fleas,show,up and you have to use 30# , your reels,won't have enough capacity   

And have also landed more than a few big kings off 8# . It's a little light but it can be done . I know a guy who ran Sutton spoons for kings and used 8# all year and got many kings . He won the ESLO,one year . 

If they are Sweeden made Abu Garcia , those are fine reels . My 6500 is one of my musky reels . 

• Like 1

You've received excellent information and the only thing I would add is to use a SOLID RING ball bearing swivel snap; especially with lighter lines as the line can nest in the groove of the split ring type and sever the line. As long as your drag is working well you should be fine.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sk8man said:

You've received excellent information and the only thing I would add is to use a SOLID RING ball bearing swivel; especially with lighter lines as the line can nest in the groove of the split ring type and sever the line. As long as your drag is working well you should be fine.

My plan was to use a 4 bead chain swivel for a connection between the main line and a 7.5' fluro leader 

The swivel recommended above is for the terminus of the leader. It might be a bit smoother using a #8 SPRO barrel swivel between the main line and the leader (about 50 lb test so strong but small)

• Like 1