Musky and Tiger Musky

Thinking of trying my hand trolling for Tigers on Otisco and Heading to the St Lawrence. Never caught a musky and definitely never caught one trolling. I’m setup decent for trout and salmon. This is something new to me I’d like to try.

Where might a fella look for information to get started? Do many have success trolling for them??

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey Joe,  It's very important to have the proper tools to handle a Musky safely without hurting you or the fish. A large net to use as a livewell on the side of your boat. Long handle pliers and good heavy hook cutters and a good glove for your non dominant hand.  Just like trout and salmon , follow the bait movement though out the year and the big predators will be there. Best of luck   PS  Watch youtube videos for good tips

Thinking of trying my hand trolling for Tigers on Otisco and Heading to the St Lawrence. Never caught a musky and definitely never caught one trolling. I’m setup decent for trout and salmon. This is something new to me I’d like to try.

Where might a fella look for information to get started? Do many have success trolling for them??

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1. Join a local Muskies Inc chapter. Get involved in club events, tournaments, etc. Introduce yourself and get to know members. Make friends and learn from those with more experience than you. Most good muskie fisherman had some type of mentor.

2. Books, magazines, videos...tons of good content on YouTube

3. Spend as much time on the water as you can. Nothing will help you as much as spending time chasing muskies and learning for yourself.

4. Join muskie related Facebook groups and ask questions. This seems to be the way of many new muskie anglers. I personally prefer 1, 2, and 3. That’s how I started 23 years ago.

5. Hire a guide that can help you learn techniques and/or specific bodies of water. This would very helpful on big, difficult, water like the St Lawrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Ditto on what Ivan says, he knows his stuff and is also a top notch dude!

My 2 cents, hire a guide or fish with someone who's got the program down. Gotta put ur time in and not be afraid to come home empty handed at times, the Larry will humble even the best and most experienced anglers from time to time.

I'd say, dont try n reinvent the wheel, see what works for successful anglers and try to reproduce it.

Anytime I go somewhere new no matter the species I'm chasing, I look at how the LOCALS target that species and see how my personal style of fishing can come close. Best wishes on the greatest hobby ever!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1