I sarted fishing Lake Ontario 2 years ago, I only fished for Kings in the summer and fall which has hooked me to the lake. Im bringing my boat down for the spring Brown Trout bite. Ill be down the first week and last week of April and again in May fishing out of Oswego and Mexico.

My plan was to run sticks on the flatlines off my boards, Chinook divers with spoons off the corners and spoons on the riggers.  We have a good variety of Moonshine, Stingers, Bay Rats, Rapala, Smithwicks and Northeast Trollers. 

Couple questions I have:

What is a good speed for browns?

Certain depth or area in April to concentrate on? 

Thanks for all the help!

I'm west aways but couple general observations: 1. warmest stained, water you can find early in April- so creeks, etc. 2. Dont leave fish to find fish- circle until they arent hitting anymore (so be careful about a spread that makes that difficult). 3. always start out with some color, some jointed and some nuetral colors- let em decide. 4. Boat traffic can kill things quick- 5. Zig zag - will tell ya a whole lot bout speed and depth. 

• Like 1

I fish out of Little Salmon River. Usually find myself setting up in front of catfish creek and trolling west to the high rocks. I run sticks on myboards and spoons off the riggers down 4-5ft. Early April I’m in the skinny water (10-20FOW) as weeks go by I get out a little deeper then dipseys join the spread. Was planning to get the boat in next weekend but with snow and ice at the marina gonna b the last weekend of march at the soonest for me to get her in. Good luck. TightLines

• Like 1

A little advice if your in really skinny water say 12 feet and under run all sticks so if you hang bottom or hook up when you slow down or stop all your baits will float up and it will save on losing tackle to the bottom.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2021 at 9:38 PM, Hachimo said:

I fish out of Little Salmon River. Usually find myself setting up in front of catfish creek and trolling west to the high rocks. I run sticks on myboards and spoons off the riggers down 4-5ft. Early April I’m in the skinny water (10-20FOW) as weeks go by I get out a little deeper then dipseys join the spread. Was planning to get the boat in next weekend but with snow and ice at the marina gonna b the last weekend of march at the soonest for me to get her in. Good luck. TightLines

Thank you for the advice! Maybe I'll see you down there!

On 3/14/2021 at 5:32 PM, chowder said:

I'm west aways but couple general observations: 1. warmest stained, water you can find early in April- so creeks, etc. 2. Dont leave fish to find fish- circle until they arent hitting anymore (so be careful about a spread that makes that difficult). 3. always start out with some color, some jointed and some nuetral colors- let em decide. 4. Boat traffic can kill things quick- 5. Zig zag - will tell ya a whole lot bout speed and depth. 

Thanks for the help! 

14 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

Do you guys usually flatline spoons also?

Sometimes but 99% of the time my flatlines get sticks. My riggers and divers get spoons.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, whaler1 said:

If you’re ever near Braddocks would be happy to take you.
Should be docked by April

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Can I come along too?  I promise not to jinx the trip by packing bananas in the lunch box.

Keep it very simple at first better to run a few rods well than a bunch wrong. Sometimes , less is more . When I am small boat`n alone , I run 2 .  

Shallow  water is snag country and snag time = no fish time . In close you could be in 8 ft and it could shallow up to 5 and snag up . But that could be where the fish are . Or you turn or board stalls and spoons sink . 

I would run strictly sticks . If the fish are in there , they will hit them . 

Straight original Rapalas and jointed rebels dive the least . You will learn the dive rate of your sticks soon enough , the hard way . Get some natural and some bright colors 

The purpose of a Rapala knot is  a pivot point for the bait to work freely/  properly . 

Some baits come with  split rings , if they don't  , I put them on . And I tie direct . Any snap could change action . 

I'm anal about tuning my stickbaits . It kind of an art . 

Good luck 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HB2 said:

Keep it very simple at first better to run a few rods well than a bunch wrong. Sometimes , less is more . When I am small boat`n alone , I run 2 .  

Shallow  water is snag country and snag time = no fish time . In close you could be in 8 ft and it could shallow up to 5 and snag up . But that could be where the fish are . Or you turn or board stalls and spoons sink . 

I would run strictly sticks . If the fish are in there , they will hit them . 

Straight original Rapalas and jointed rebels dive the least . You will learn the dive rate of your sticks soon enough , the hard way . Get some natural and some bright colors 

The purpose of a Rapala knot is  a pivot point for the bait to work freely/  properly . 

Some baits come with  split rings , if they don't  , I put them on . And I tie direct . Any snap could change action . 

I'm anal about tuning my stickbaits . It kind of an art . 

Good luck 

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it!!

On 3/15/2021 at 7:03 PM, hookedupf7 said:

Do you guys usually flatline spoons also?

Last year I had a few trips where spoons were hot and my sticks weren’t productive.  I put spoons on the boards and attached a split shot 20-30ft from the spoon on the mono and they started producing hits as well. 

2 hours ago, Hachimo said:

Last year I had a few trips where spoons were hot and my sticks weren’t productive.  I put spoons on the boards and attached a split shot 20-30ft from the spoon on the mono and they started producing hits as well. 

Ill definitely give that a try as well! I have a mast on my boat with otter boards and inline boards if the otters are too much for the shallow waters. 

Same here Northeast.  Just pulled the baha out of my garage this weekend. Been workin on it all winter and its almost ready. Graphics r goin on this sunday.  Then Next weekend she she goes to Salmon Country.  

10C09785-5155-42C7-835C-75EF827E587C.jpeg

• Like 3