Reflecting....

I've been doing this trout and salmon trolling thing since the 80's, just thinking today while looking over my rods how far things have come. Originally downriggers where the hot ticket with some bigger boats having 5 riggers. Planers got popular but really only for spring fishing. Zebra Mussels became a thing and tactics needed to change with long leads, coppers, big boards, leadcores, all this became the norm. Downriggers while most boats still have them are far less of the program. Long line stealth approaches that some of our Grandfathers used in the finger lakes are now the goto's, the more things change the more they stay the same.

Tony, riggers can absolutely be a stealth presentation. Camo green downrigger balls, no-hum braid downrigger cable and long leads will get those riggers productive. They also are essential at setting fish up in your spread to hit divers bringing up the rear. Riggers are my first rods in the water!

For some of us the leap has been even more extreme from still fishing with live bait in the 50's and 60's to copper jerking in the 60's and 70's then making your own planer boards for top lining in about 1975,  Riviera manual downriggers in 1976 with 8 lb weights (for use on a buddy's boat as I didn't have one) and electrics and 15 ft outriggers in 1984; all from a little 13 ft. Boston Whaler I bought used in 1979 which then saw action out out in the middle of Lake O for salmon. This stuff has come light years in a relatively short time frame:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

The fishery is constantly changing.  Those that change with it excel.  Those that don't change with it, struggle.  In my 37 seasons on Lake O, I have enjoyed the challenges of the fishery changing.  Learning new tactics and perfecting them is a challenge but can be extremely rewarding.  Never be afraid to try something different.  You may stumble onto the next big thing! 

Edited by GAMBLER

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

For some of us the leap has been even more extreme from still fishing with live bait in the 50's and 60's to copper jerking in the 60's and 70's then making your own planer boards for top lining in about 1975,  Riviera manual downriggers in 1976 with 8 lb weights (for use on a buddy's boat as I didn't have one) and electrics and 15 ft outriggers in 1984; all from a little 13 ft. Boston Whaler I bought used in 1979 which then saw action out out in the middle of Lake O for salmon. This stuff has come light years in a relatively short time frame:lol:

And no LOU site to share ideas or learn from others.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tangledline said:

And no LOU site to share ideas or learn from others.

So very true. Trial and error experimenting for the most part as the old timers were VERY reluctant to give out even the most minor tips or information. Luckily had buddies in the same fix and we tried to share ideas and information so it helped.

57 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

The fishery is constantly changing.  Those that change with it excel.  Those that don't change with it, struggle.  In my 37 seasons on Lake O, I have enjoyed the challenges of the fishery changing.  Learning new tactics and perfecting them is a challenge but can be extremely rewarding.  Never be afraid to try something different.  You may stumble onto the next big thing! 

Very well said Brian. This is at the heart of it. Luckily we have some very knowlegeable, creative, and generous people on this website; and especially some of the charter guys that freely share things that work and things that don't work so well vastly accelerating the learning curve for all of us and improving the sport in many ways. This website is special and so are the people here.

• Like 1