My Last Summer on Lake Ontario

Hello all. My wife decided we should move to San Antonio Texas so she can be closer to her mom and sister. She deserves it, so I'm making it happen. Probably move in November. I got my job transfer already. We have bought 15 acres out in the country and we're building a house. Lots of hog and deer tracks on it, and we flew down last week and we even saw a turkey gobbler. I hate to leave the great lakes fishing we have for Salmon on Ontario, and Walleye on Erie. One good thing is the house will be 2 hours from Corpus Christi, so I plan to keep the boat down there. I'm not sure how down riggers and fish hawks will be used in the bays and Gulf of Mexico, but I will find out. I am now thinking about selling my 9.8 kicker and getting a 40 or 60 get home motor in case I go way out in the gulf. Not sure what HP would be required to provide an advantage over the 9.8. Anyways that will come later. I'm looking forward to my last season on Lake Ontario and Erie. Tight Lines Friends!

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Life is a series of journeys and chapters for all of us. This chapter is coming to an end but your next chapter and journey is just beginning. The good thing is we will always have the memories of our past. Enjoy your last season on Lake Ontario and make all the memories you can. Good luck to you and your wife and enjoy the next chapter of your lives.
Tight lines!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

Gary, just PM me when you are going fishing and I will tell you what I know on fish location. We will send you off in style. One of the biggest form of fishing in Texas is motoring to any little dip in the sand nearshore, anchor your boat and get out in waders during cold months/bathing suit when nice and cast for seatrout and redfish. Offshore there is a red snapper fishery and pelagics far out in gulf near oil rigs

Good luck on your next step to the south. Make sure to get a generator and some real good air conditioning. They say that that place gets real hot and real cold.

As for fishing, I have never seen anybody using down riggers or any of the other cold water fishing gear.  But I would take them and try. You may just start a new trend..

I have fished in alot of areas in the Gulf. I love eating most all types of fish but I cant get into anything in the Gulf except shrimp that I peel myself. My least favorite is red fish and spec trout. My oldest son has lived in San Antonio for 9 years. I do however like the hogs if harvested in dry areas away from any swamps.

I have fished in alot of areas in the Gulf. I love eating most all types of fish but I cant get into anything in the Gulf except shrimp that I peel myself. My least favorite is red fish and spec trout. My oldest son has lived in San Antonio for 9 years. I do however like the hogs if harvested in dry areas away from any swamps.
The land we're buying is being torn up with hogs.

• Like 1

They use downriggers around oil rigs but you need a big boat to get out there
I'm not sure how my Grady white 22 foot is going to work. Might be too small for 30 miles out, and too big for many shallow bays they have.

Good luck on your next step to the south. Make sure to get a generator and some real good air conditioning. They say that that place gets real hot and real cold.
As for fishing, I have never seen anybody using down riggers or any of the other cold water fishing gear.  But I would take them and try. You may just start a new trend..
Thanks, In laws say there's a few months in the summer that is brutal heat. Opposite of here, where we get 3 months cold

I did the same as you are now, moved to Ga. and next Sept. will be 2 years. The plan was for me to take a month or 2 on Lake Ontario, but Covid changed those plans last summer. Now that I know how hot it could get here, and my double dose in my arm I hope to tow up to NY this summer, and take advantage then. Though I haven't put my boat in down here yet, I'm hoping to troll for West Point Lake Stripers while the waters still cold. It'll be strange competing with water skiers instead of fisherman. Good luck with your new place

Well good luck to your also! I think I would tow my boat to the atlantic instead of lake ontario though! I do love saltwater fishing.

I did the same as you are now, moved to Ga. and next Sept. will be 2 years. The plan was for me to take a month or 2 on Lake Ontario, but Covid changed those plans last summer. Now that I know how hot it could get here, and my double dose in my arm I hope to tow up to NY this summer, and take advantage then. Though I haven't put my boat in down here yet, I'm hoping to troll for West Point Lake Stripers while the waters still cold. It'll be strange competing with water skiers instead of fisherman. Good luck with your new place

• 1 month later...

Used to fish in key largo when I was younger, running out 20+ miles in a 19 edgewater with a 135 optimax, much like the lake you pick your days. Although it was never really that bad.

I'm not sure how my Grady white 22 foot is going to work. Might be too small for 30 miles out, and too big for many shallow bays they have.

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I live in Va now and have a cabin and a boat on Oak Orchard but when I was in the AF I was stationed in San Antonio  for four years and 

fished the area extensively. Within San Antonio you have Calaveras Lake where 10 lb Large Mouths are not   that uncommon. There is also Canyon Lake which has Striped Bass, walleyes and Bass. The cold outflow of that lake has some great stocked trout fishing.  Then on the salt water side you have Corpus Christi  with great speckled trout and red fish. Matagorda bay is great off the gas wells, In  the fall there are monster reds and doormat  size flounder, You can go south on Padre Island for great trout and reds.  What is called the land cut is fantastic. You also have near by Rockport, Port Lavaca and Port O'Conner. Matagorda Island is also great. One thing we used to do off Port Aransas was the find the tidal line of weeds and where shrimp boats were culling there nets. Sometimes this would be a few miles sometimes it would be 20 miles. It used to be a six pack was worth a bucket of shrimp. They would also give you all the culled bait fish you want.  We would then troll this area with spoons and feathered rigs with the bait fish such as  ribbon fish, ballyhoo or pinfish and catch monster kingfish.  San Antonio is great central location for great year round fishing.  Its about 150 miles from SA to CC and Texans call SA a "costal" city. LOL.  I wish you best of luck.

• Like 1

Be sure to spend some time at the River walk at San Antone great place. It was even great back inthe sixties when I was stationed there:smile: