Where (Not) to launch this week?

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday this week doing recon at possible Spring LO launches.   Here’s my findings listed East to West. 
(I walked each ramp in waders and noted the water depth, etc.)

• Hughes Marina - concrete ramps end at water level with STEEP drop offs after.  No go.  (Light boat, big truck, OK?)
  • Bear Creek - usable ramp, VERY shallow channel to lake.  No Go.  (Shallow draft boat OK?)
  • Irondequoit Bay State Launch - Bridge opens April 01.  Launch under construction, completion date unknown?  No Go.  
  • Port of Rochester - ramps go deep into Genessee River, farthest South ramp is best.   Go. 
  • Braddock Bay - ramps go deep into the bay.  Go. 
  • Manitou Marina -  marina under construction.   No Go.  
  • Sandy Creek -  ramps go deep into creek.  No Docks installed yet.   Go. 
  • Point Breeze - ramps go deep into creek. No docks installed.   Go. 
  • Oak Orchard Marine St Park -  ramps go deep into creek.  Docks being installed.  Open April 01.   Go. 

Notes:    Observations finished Mar. 17.
              Lake Ontario is projected to rise 11” by April 12. GAME CHANGER! 
              Most docks should be installed April 01?  
              Recon YOUR launch before the trip. 

Wishing you tight lines!

Cap’n Dan 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Dan. I can attest to Port of Rochester being hairy. I launched there yesterday. Army Corps was there too putting a boat in. It appeared that they were doing soundings for the McKie cement freighter, who was staged at the mouth waiting to come in. I don’t know if she was able to. I have never seen it this low in the spring. 

Great work and thanks.  Super nice of you.  It seems as though east end folks might have a few less launches available to them for early season.  Go West young man and have a great year.

Fjrider,

Thanks for your work. One question. When you say "Braddocks Bay- ramps go deep go". Where are you referring to? The Marina on E Manitou is under construction, the one on Manitou Rd has little water and the old Skinners marina on the North side is closed. ????

E Manitou.   The sea wall construction ends before the ramp.   The construction worker I queried said the ramp was not part of the project.   I walked the ramp in waders and testify that I could launch my 22’ Grady on it’s tandem axel trailer.   
cheers! 

The Power  on the river generated had a boom revenue time as no one stopped the flow of water after all the high lake levels for the past years. Will all the appropriated flood control expenditures be returned to the taxpayers?

3 hours ago, jimski2 said:

The Power  on the river generated had a boom revenue time as no one stopped the flow of water after all the high lake levels for the past years. Will all the appropriated flood control expenditures be returned to the taxpayers?

ski,

thinking that this is a rhetorical question?

cheers

john

When I was at E Manitou last week there was construction equipment parked in the parking lot where trailers park. Not sure if its still there. Wow access is a problem in this lake. Why in the world doesnt NYS DEC put a launch ramp in Hamlin Beach State Park? They have plenty of room for parking too. Just need to build a small harbor like Sturgeon Pt on Erie.

17 hours ago, fjrider said:

E Manitou.   The sea wall construction ends before the ramp.   The construction worker I queried said the ramp was not part of the project.   I walked the ramp in waders and testify that I could launch my 22’ Grady on it’s tandem axel trailer.   
cheers! 

Getting off the trailer is one thing, getting over the sand bars into the lake in another....... good luck,  please let us know how you make out.

17 hours ago, fjrider said:

cheers! 

From what I'm hearing your not getting out into the Lake though, channel is too low.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for information on launch conditions at the Fort Niagara boat launch or surrounding launches. 90 min drive for me

19ft Deep V aluminum 

Can confirm I-bay and the Genny are viable launches right now

Drebs....... I launched a 16 ' aluminum boat off a roller trailer at the Fort North ramp on Sunday morning. The N ramp is very shallow...... But there was enough water for me to get out. There are no docks...... You'll have to launch and load from the ramp. I never looked at the South ramp. 

Edited by Traveling Circus