Alewives

Nothing bad about them eating Gobies
Browns are going to be in warmer water with color. Any bait they find there will be fair game.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 minute ago, whaler1 said:

Nothing bad about them eating Gobies
Browns are going to be in warmer water with color. Any bait they find there will be fair game.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Which is why they should stock a whole lot more of them . 

• Like 3

Brown trout have the potential to exceed 18 pounds and are able to survive spawning and return to the fishery for many years to come. Taking one on light lines is a greater battle than Chinook salmon. Atlantic salmon are spectacular catches and return to the fishery. They have greater accessibility to stream anglers and near shore fishing.

The Round Gobies are something of an enigma. They appear to have both positives and negatives attached to them. On the one hand they may eat several dozen Zebra Mussels in a day, and serve as a food source for browns and lakers, but on the other hand they are known to eat the eggs of other fish, take over their spawning beds, ingest toxins from bottom feeding and possibly poison some birds that feed on them with botulism. Cormorants seem to heavily feed on them so it would be nice to poison off some of those things.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

The Round Gobies are something of an enigma. They appear to have both positives and negatives attached to them. On the one hand they may eat several dozen Zebra Mussels in a day, and serve as a food source for browns and lakers, but on the other hand they are known to eat the eggs of other fish, take over their spawning beds, ingest toxins from bottom feeding and possibly poison some birds that feed on them with botulism. Cormorants seem to heavily feed on them so it would be nice to poison off some of those things.

X 2 on that.  New York State needs to issue nuisance permits on these winged rats, as they serve no purpose, & destroy fisheries all over the state. There would be many folks getting even with these fish stealers for sure!

cheers,

John

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

I have caught a whole bunch of huge smallmouth that say the contrary  

4 hours ago, Iceman said:

X 2 on that.  New York State needs to issue nuisance permits on these winged rats, as they serve no purpose, & destroy fisheries all over the state. There would be many folks getting even with these fish stealers for sure!

cheers,

9 minutes ago, HB2 said:

I have caught a whole bunch of huge smallmouth that say the contrary  

Large smallmouth bass are not on their menu, they eat the young fish, I know you knew that?

good luck

John