10 hp motor

cjc

I want to put on my boat a 10 hp motor any advice on kicker plates. Also my boat is a 21 foot Bayliner Cerica is the motor to small for trolling or should I get a bigger motor.

I would   buy the Suzuki 9.9 HP outboard. it is a good price and for an added $400.00 you can convert it to a 20 HP by just changing a couple  of parts. I just purchased on from Portaboat in CA. 

$2650.00 delivered. I am in break in now and then I will install the 20 hp ECU and flame arrester making it a true 20 HP outboard

I have the elec start remote with power trim 20 inch shaft. I have the new restrictor and the 20 hp ecu. I won’t put that stuff on until the break in is done. I bought all the extra parts from Precision Marine in fl

Looks good, I have mine mounted with the digital gauge. Everything seems to work. I am just over 3 hours into the break in. I’m going to take it out on a local lake Saturday and try to get 3 more hours on it. I’m going to convert to the 20 hp when I hit 15 hours. 

With the price of gas how much money do you guys think you will save over the season. I thinking about doing this. EXAMPLE 10 HOURS OF TROLLING WITH THE 10 HP COMPARED TO THE INBOARD OUTBOARD V8.

When I spend a day trolling for striper done by me (NJ) I burn through about 25-30 gallons with my twin 175s. This 9.9/20 will be on my 16 ft Sylvan pro select. I would think I will be able to troll all day for about 2 gallons

Saving 6 gal a fishing day x $4 a gal for ethanol free is $24. 10 days avg a month is $240. Assuming 5 months fishing a year is $720. Payback in about 4 1/2 years. $4 a gallon may be way low for the future considering the lunatics running the country. I am retired and easily avg 10 days a month fishing. Then there is the lack of wear and tear on the main engine and second means of propulsion to be considered. Easy decision

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, lrg355 said:

Amount of fuel used is not the main point but is a consideration. Having a dependable second means of propulsion to get me home in case of a breakdown on the main engine is the most important factor.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Unless someone has been on the short  end of the stick and stranded out there they may think dollars and cents is the main issue but once that happens your comment becomes VERY clear. You are right in your thinking safety concerns come way before the money. It only took once to make a believer out of me:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

53 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Unless someone has been on the short  end of the stick and stranded out there they may think dollars and cents is the main issue but once that happens your comment becomes VERY clear. You are right in your thinking safety concerns come way before the money. It only took once to make a believer out of me:smile:

I’m glad I have twins on my saltwater boat. Last year I blew a lower unit 74 miles offshore. Took a long time but I made it back