Boat title & registration for NY

Hi, 

I bought a 19' Sea Nymph 3 years ago and never got around to re-titling it or registering it under my name as 

the previous owner had just done so and said I might as well ride out the remainder of his registration.  Now that it's

time to get it done I can't find the documentation from the sale.  Does anyone know what is involved in proving ownership 

and registering/ re-titling a motor boat in NY?  I'm kicking myself for not having done this right away.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

image.thumb.png.320f41ce13207e6a55575f765864f116.png

I'm not sure about NY, but in other states like PA, you'd likely need to track down the previous owner, have them request a new title, and then sign it over to you again. Then you can get a new registration. I'm just not sure how you would get a title into your name with it being on file in someone else's.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is the boat year a 1987 or newer?

You can register the boat as an untitled boat. After a year and no one claims it you may receive a new title

Make it clear it was abandoned on your

Property.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, that's my point.  I do not have the title.
No title if it's a NY registered boat. It'll just be a transferrable registraion. Without it you'll have to get a hold of the guy to file for a replacment registration. Bill of sale isn't as important as they go off blue book if you dont have one but bill of sale would maybe allow you to register the boat without the signed registraion maybe.

Technically by not registering the boat on your name he could still claim it as his and you would have to somehow prove you bought it which would be very hard if you paid cash.

Not a smart move, i wouldn't ever pay for something and not get it in my name.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You can make an appointment at the DMV so waiting is not a issue. Go in and explain your situation and they will help you out. Most there do a decent job. I registered a out of state trailer with a registration that wasn’t in there master book. Very helpful and gave me a non-transferable register and said Albany needs to verify. Few weeks later I get a transferable registration in the mail

An appointment at the DMV is a long wait. With the number they give you, you get to stand in a line. After you get to that desk, you get to sit in a chair till another number pops up on a television and you are paying attention you will get to a person who fills out your paper work and takes your money. If your DMV office is a half hour drive away, you will waste half a day of your precious lifetime there instead of fishing.

The DMV sucks.

Make an appointment with the DMV for registration.  Titled a boat never registered in NYS.  I was in and out in under 10 minutes.  And that was with the DMV not knowing how to deal with a USCG documented vessel

Thanks guys.

YEah, I did find a text message between me and the seller so I had his number.  We wrote up another bill of sale.  My local DMV

just recently reopened for in-person appointments, even if for only one day a week.  I have no doubt that they will 

be very helpful.  Amazing really, back in Long Island, NY... going to the DMV was like something out of a horror show.

So far, here in Niagara County they've been amazing helpful.  This board is also extremely helpful.  Thanks!