Best Lake Trout Scent

This year I am going to use a wee bit of scent. And I will use the Dreamweaver Whirligigs which provide for a scent trail. And of course other tackle does this too. have noticed various “experts” don’t mention it but they do use scent when laker fishing. My research suggests something greasy like hot dog grease which has been used in one particular lake. 

So what is favourite scent you use when lakers are inactive? I note on the market there is Gulp, Smelly Jelly , Garlic and so on.

Do you use any other scents for walleye and other species?  ( I used it for musky last year and was pleasantly surprised!  Guess a little dab will do yuh) 

This should make for interesting reading pro or con, looking forward to it.

jim

Get a bag of frozen smelt from the supermarket.  The largest King I ever caught (36 lbs.) was with a piece of bagged smelt stuffed into a Rhys Davis meat head..  Lakers will chomp the snot out of it.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 9:54 AM, laker1 said:

This year I am going to use a wee bit of scent. And I will use the Dreamweaver Whirligigs which provide for a scent trail. And of course other tackle does this too. have noticed various “experts” don’t mention it but they do use scent when laker fishing. My research suggests something greasy like hot dog grease which has been used in one particular lake. 

So what is favourite scent you use when lakers are inactive? I note on the market there is Gulp, Smelly Jelly , Garlic and so on.

Do you use any other scents for walleye and other species?  ( I used it for musky last year and was pleasantly surprised!  Guess a little dab will do yuh) 

This should make for interesting reading pro or con, looking forward to it.

jim

Caffeine and nicotine mix.

I am giving these a shot this year .They are hollow and two piece . Glow in the dark.Put your scent on the inside, they snap together.I plan to catch a few gobies . Use them for scent.. Might be the ticket after dark?????? or they could end up in the many boxes of stuff that should have worked that Ive got out in the shed.

I know for a fact that a minnow with a piece of marshmellow on the hook is deadly in

muddy water.Might try a little marshmellow. Would be great if it worked.

I used smelly jelly years ago. Ended up with several lures with a coat of like grease that never seemed to come off...

winner ,winner, chicken dinner.

spin winner.jpg

For years in the 80's I used a 35 mm plastic film canister with holes drilled in it filled with chopped up sawbelly meat attached to my downrigger balls......caught fish on the riggers but the verdict is still out on whether it related to the canisters:lol:

• Like 1

Captain Dan Keating in his new book " Big Water Wisdom " ; one of the Q&A was " scent " . He wrote , quiet honestly that " he just didn't know ! " Probably another smoke and mirrors but if scent works for you stay with it until it quits ! [ " Zapper " from Tillsonburg Ontario finally told me his secret scent ; cod liver oil, brown sugar and citrus ie lemon juice  . As previously posted it could have been the nicotine on his fingers because it did nothing for us ! we would mix and match scented spoon on port and same spoon sans scent on starboard side no apparent difference IMO !