HUMMINBIRD SI VS DI

Just ordered a Humminbird Helix 7 SI DI with nav maps. Anyone have any experience running this unit on Cayuga and if so thoughts? I struggled with the decision on whether side imaging would be worth it while trolling for Lakers and salmon I've always just used a standard Lowrance fish finder but decided to splurge.  If not SI what about DI?Figured it would come in handy on Oneida for perch and walleye.  Also have you used it for marking waypoints to start your next trolling route and is it easy to scroll back between maps and side imaging?  I really probably should have checked one out before purchase..........

Just ordered a Humminbird Helix 7 SI DI with nav maps. Anyone have any experience running this unit on Cayuga and if so thoughts? I struggled with the decision on whether side imaging would be worth it while trolling for Lakers and salmon I've always just used a standard Lowrance fish finder but decided to splurge.  If not SI what about DI?Figured it would come in handy on Oneida for perch and walleye.  Also have you used it for marking waypoints to start your next trolling route and is it easy to scroll back between maps and side imaging?  I really probably should have checked one out before purchase..........

Good Day, I have the same but in the 9 inch size. I troll Keuka mostly as we have a cottage there. I have two seasons on the Bird, mostly have not used the SI/DI when trolling. I will sometimes split the screen to verify bottom structure or humps with the DI. Mostly end up using SI when fishing for other warm water species. The unit is great. Very clear and super picture. I came from a Furuno and was hesitant, but glad I changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

When you are using side or down imaging in shallow trolling does the screen just go black when you get past 125'?  I thought SI would not be worth it while trolling but DI to......this thing probably gonna be a $700 flasher.....

I love the side imaging for early season (like now) on Cayuga. It shows bait and fish along the sides because I run nothing straight below this time of year. I have a Humminbird Helix 12 SI G2N.

Found this gem the other day when I was out. Saw something on my general sonar, but the detail on the side imaging is incredible. I assume it’s a sewer pipe, but I could be wrong.
IMG_6190.JPG

I love the side imaging for early season (like now) on Cayuga. It shows bait and fish along the sides because I run nothing straight below this time of year. I have a Humminbird Helix 12 SI G2N.

Found this gem the other day when I was out. Saw something on my general sonar, but the detail on the side imaging is incredible. I assume it’s a sewer pipe, but I could be wrong.
IMG_6190.thumb.JPG.adf6d68ab9efe07c8907d56490ac95f4.JPG
https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/101040.html

Cornell lake source cooling.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/101040.html

Cornell lake source cooling.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There you go! I drew a line to the sewer plant over at that corner and assumed. I guess when you assume...

It does disappear deeper into the lake than my sidescan and Downimaging can show. It’s an impressive piece of hardware. The ultimate geothermal system!
  • Like 1