How much backing on wire reel

I just bought a few 30 size Coldwater reel. I was gonna put wire on them. How much backing should I put on? I was thinking about just using some heavy mono.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fill one backwards (wire first, then backing) keeping track of how much of each until the reel is full. Then reel that onto your second reel.

Then fill the second reel with the same about of backing and wire.

The line counter wont be worth much here, so you need to measure out the line when you put it on to know how much there is.

I use two step posts from Rural King 100' apart when I do this and when I'm calibrating my reels.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just bought a few 30 size Coldwater reel. I was gonna put wire on them. How much backing should I put on? I was thinking about just using some heavy mono.

So the answer is... They need backing to make sure the spoil is full. Okuma 30 series require a bit of backing to insure that. If you spool only the 1000 ft of wire then the spool will not be full. I would suggest 200' of 20# mono and then attach to the wire with an albright knot and fill until the spool is full. A full spool offers both counter accuracy and operation my efficiency.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I used mono once to back ... led to creep ... basically the mono stretches with enough wire out, then the wire position and guide end up not aligned, and you saw a hole through the line guide, plus puts a lot of stress on everything, sometimes it just stops coming out, if it gets bad enough.

For this reason, I would suggest using braid backing ... it doesn't stretch, this way the way (position) it went on the reel, always stays aligned with the line guide.

I don't recall having to put that much on though ... maybe 200' of braid ... I normally just made sure there was a good bed of braid on the spool, to cover the base completely.  With that much on a size 30 reel, the spool was definitely full with 1000' on ... in some cases, too full (but that I might blame on not putting the wire on tight enough ... which is another problem you need to deal with ... keep that wire tight when spooling!),

I was advised by some top reel repair folks to put some mono under the wire because of the pressure the bare wire exerts on the reel spool the mono reduces it and if the mono is reeled on tight it shouldn't be a problem. If you are using braid for the backer make sure after you tie it on good to use some electrical tape a couple turns around on the spool to keep it from slipping as mentioned above. When you put the wire on make sure the line guide is centered on the reel when you begin as it helps keep things straight.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Wise77 said:

So I'm guessing a couple hundred feet of braid would be the best backing then.

Braid works also as backing but make sure you wrap the spool with electrical tape to keep the braid from slipping on the spool. FYI i have never experienced, seen, or heard of wire reels creeping because of mono backing. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Wise77 said:

So I'm guessing a couple hundred feet of braid would be the best backing then.

I put some electrical tape. Basically tie the braid around the spool once, make a knot, then apply one turn of electrical tape.  You don't need many revolutions after that for the braid to bite down on itself and prevent spinning.

If you are going to spool a couple reels the easiest way to get a full spool on all is to first spool one of the reels with 1000' wire then top load the backer until it fills the spool. Now attach the backer to the other reel and wind it all on paying attention to the amount of backer so you'll know how much backer to start with on the other spool(s).

• Like 3