Walleye - Black river

Neebish.. I've fished the Black River several times, but like you.. at the wrong times. I have done decent outside the river, but not in the river itself. Can't really help you with an answer, but I agree with your thinking and hope to try it earlier this season as well. If I do hear anything.. I'll post it. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Here is my take on the Black River, however I am a rookie. The presence of spring walleye is dependant upon water temperatures. The sooner the water temps are right the female will spawn and high tail it to the open water of Black River Bay to meet up with the schools of suspended baitfish that are on their way to their spawning grounds. By the time opening day/mother's day is around with a average temp year the males are the most available in the river/river mouth and the females are suspended in the bay where the schools of bait are. The river bite is best with crawler harnesses, berkely salamanders texas rigged, or a nice bottom bouncing crankbait. This is especially true for the mouth. Running planer boards with smithwicks rogues and the such catch the open water hog females. Experimenting with weird colors can pay off. Since last year was unseasonally warm the walleye were WAY ahead of traditioanl opening day tactics. I think that the round gobies are making Black River walleyes more unpredictable as well. Last year was tough!