Henderson / Stony Creek 2021

Great news ! I got the boat out of storage ! Earliest I can remember.

IMG_4150.JPG

Bad news ! I checked out the launches at Henderson and Stony. The water level is so low, I don’t know if I’ll be able to launch.

Stony Creek

IMG_4146.JPG

I wanted to take a picture of the north side of the launch, but there were two kayakers about to get into a fist fight, so I passed on that pic.

Henderson is terrible as well. Probably 5-6 feet lower than last year ( although last year was flood conditions)

IMG_4147.JPG

IMG_4149.JPG

I think you’ll probably be able to see the end of the concrete ramp in this pic. It’s even with the shadow of the pole.

IMG_4148.JPG

Even if you were able to launch, it would be a 3’ drop from the top of the launch, to the top of the gunnels.

I’m going to start the impeachment process to remove whoever is on the IJC, and try and get them replaced with some folks that know what they are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 3

Thanks for the reports! I was concerned about the low water levels and where to launch my 22ft Crestliner Sabre. I had a feeling that Stony Creek was too shallow right now. I also noticed that Chaumont Marina hasn't put their floating docks in yet, and their non-floating docks are way above the water level.

Thanks for the pics of the launches - I agree, I don't think Henderson will work for my boat either (similar size/style to yours). I had been thinking I'll be using East launch at Sackets b/c at least that's deeper... but I think the cement ending will be an issue there too.

FWIW, Re: IJC... the GL region from Huron to Ontario has had 2 consecutive seasons of low precipitation (Last summer and Winter) and likely a third, this Spring. All of the great lakes are low or way below averages for this time of year.

IJC has been bone headed and needs to be changed, but this isn't their fault. It's just Mother Nature.

Edited by Beards247
phrasing
  • Like 1

Thanks for the pics of the launches - I agree, I don't think Henderson will work for my boat either (similar size/style to yours). I had been thinking I'll be using East launch at Sackets b/c at least that's deeper... but I think the cement ending will be an issue there too.

FWIW, Re: IJC... the GL region from Huron to Ontario has had 2 consecutive seasons of low precipitation (Last summer and Winter) and likely a third, this Spring. All of the great lakes are low or way below averages for this time of year.

IJC has been bone headed and needs to be changed, but this isn't their fault. It's just Mother Nature.

I can’t even imagine what Sackets looks like. Gotta be 4 feet from berm to water. Not good.

Good luck all. Keep us posted. Thanks.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rusty1034 said:

I can’t even imagine what Sackets looks like. Gotta be 4 feet from berm to water. Not good.

Good luck all. Keep us posted. Thanks.

I hope to find out this weekend, plan on playing off of your good idea and taking pics of the launches.

we went out of Stony on 3/24 , trimmed up as high as we can and still churning mud and sand going out, fished around 4 hours and landed 1 brown, coming back in we got stuck in the sand by the old marina, polled off that and finally got back to the launch- not doing that again 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Elt1965 said:

we went out of Stony on 3/24 , trimmed up as high as we can and still churning mud and sand going out, fished around 4 hours and landed 1 brown, coming back in we got stuck in the sand by the old marina, polled off that and finally got back to the launch- not doing that again 

That's exactly what I thought might happen. I don't want mud & sand being sucked into my motor.

Thanks for the report! Were the channel markers in place yet?

Great news ! I got the boat out of storage ! Earliest I can remember.

IMG_4150.thumb.JPG.65b070627324fc1a5f000c55af5514ae.JPG

Bad news ! I checked out the launches at Henderson and Stony. The water level is so low, I don’t know if I’ll be able to launch.

Stony Creek

IMG_4146.thumb.JPG.238d2f46db2fca01be5172f35ad2b05e.JPG

I wanted to take a picture of the north side of the launch, but there were two kayakers about to get into a fist fight, so I passed on that pic.

Henderson is terrible as well. Probably 5-6 feet lower than last year ( although last year was flood conditions)

IMG_4147.thumb.JPG.a5759ea4900c4d11f474d0ad9d446feb.JPG

IMG_4149.thumb.JPG.8dd5bc7725adc54d097523c50c1beb7d.JPG

I think you’ll probably be able to see the end of the concrete ramp in this pic. It’s even with the shadow of the pole.

IMG_4148.thumb.JPG.41a13f80124fdc5c37991944bfbb69c8.JPG