Outdrive won’t lift and go down. Help!!!

Hachimo

So I sold my 1986 Bayliner trophy 2460. When showing it, the lift motor took a crap. So I ordered a new lift motor and installed it today. Worked for a min then stopped working. So I checked the two relays and upon hitting up or down I get power to each relay but now power to lift motor.  I jumped the relay and it works.  So you would think the relays r bad. $50 later and two new relays later. Still same result.  Is there something I’m missing? Something else i need to check? Got good ground to lift motor and power if I jump the relay.  This one got me seriously scratchin my head.  And imput is greatly appreciated.  Its a volvo penta 275 outdrive. 

I had a problem like that on my starcraft. Changed the motor and relays. Switch worked but replaced it and checked the wire 1000 times. Once in a while it worked when jumped. Motor always powered and seemed like everything was ok. One of the cylinders was bad and would fight the other cylinder so it wouldn't go up or down. This was a completely different system than yours tho. Friend changed out the cylinders and worked perfectly. I did not believe it was the cylinders at all and he replaced them when I was gone so I came back to a working boat. First time out after that I blew a hydropic line so if they look old just replace them too. I would try un bolting the rams from the outdrive and see if they move. If not crack the line and see if there is pressure. Like I said my boat was a 68 and the first outdrive ever made so quite different. Somewhere there is a check valve to prevent fluid from returning when the drive is put into reverse so the drive stays locked. If that valve is closed then no fluid is going to circulate thru those lines. Some have that valve in the lift motor and some have it on the shift linkage. That's what I thought was wrong with mine. That valve was locked and preventing the fluid from moving the rams. The rams were my problem but there very different systems. But hopefully you can get this figured out. If the pump runs then it's not a power issue. Check the reverse lockout and the rams.

As of now, when I flip the switch I’m not getting power to motor. When i jump relay it works great.  Even with brand new relays. My problem is gotta b wiring        Everything after the lift motor is in good working order.  I appreciate all the help fellas.  Gotta work a few hrs this morning then back at it tryin to figure this thing out.  

As of now, when I flip the switch I’m not getting power to motor. When i jump relay it works great.  Even with brand new relays. My problem is gotta b wiring        Everything after the lift motor is in good working order.  I appreciate all the help fellas.  Gotta work a few hrs this morning then back at it tryin to figure this thing out.  
What are you jumping on the relay?

Yes, disconnected relays. Took power goin to relay and touched it with power to the lift pump. When I do that it goes up.  If I do that to other relay it will go down when switch is in down position. When I am home a little later I will take a pic of the lift unit. 

I have a MerCruiser I know that's not what you have. I had no power at the control switch to the power trim and it end up being green wires where it is plugged into the the power trim motor little cleaning was good to go. just an ideal.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Got it figured out. As I said in original post i put new lift motor in and worked for a couple seconds and quit.  Theres a second inline fuze and fuze was popped.  Put a new one in and worked a few seconds goin down then popped again.  After pullin my hair out I realized the drive wasnt all the way down. The clocking wasn’t right. The motor was maxing out when outdrive was halfway down therfore blowin the fuze .  I pulled motor out and spun the inside up a few rotations and now its not popping fuses and goes all the way up and all the way down till light goes out without a hitch.  
  Thank you fellas for all your imput. 
much appreciated 

10 minutes ago, Hachimo said:

Got it figured out. As I said in original post i put new lift motor in and worked for a couple seconds and quit.  Theres a second inline fuze and fuze was popped.  Put a new one in and worked a few seconds goin down then popped again.  After pullin my hair out I realized the drive wasnt all the way down. The clocking wasn’t right. The motor was maxing out when outdrive was halfway down therfore blowin the fuze .  I pulled motor out and spun the inside up a few rotations and now its not popping fuses and goes all the way up and all the way down till light goes out without a hitch.  
  Thank you fellas for all your imput. 
much appreciated 

I think the old boat was just jealous of the new boat.  Some girlfriends don't go away quietly.

23 minutes ago, Fat Trout said:

I think the old boat was just jealous of the new boat.  Some girlfriends don't go away quietly.

Tell me about it Kevin. She was my first big girl!  Lol.  I’m selling it to a local fella that fishes out of mexico/Oswego. I’m sure I be trollin right along side her. 

• Like 1

Glad you got it fixed.  I just got done fooling around with my Mercruiser trim system, found a loose wire from the fuse to the trim motor...All working ok now.  But they can be a pain in the butt...