I've never used a wire diver setup and am looking for some advice.   Does anyone use 19 strand wire instead of 7 strand?  Why or why not?  Do you have to use a swivel tip rod?  I'd like to set up a couple of wire diver rods but don't want to break the bank.  I fish out of Olcott maybe 3 or 4 weekends a year.  Am more interested in what guys are actually using than just what tackle manufacturers say i should have.   Thanks for any and all input!

Try the Malin Soft Wire stainless, recommend a 1000’ spool for kings.  Okuma White Diamond 10’ trolling rods with roller tips and abrasion resistant rod guides.  Shimano Tekota 600 Line Counter reels.  Lots of different ways to get setup, but this is my preferred method.  

• Like 2

A Twilli tip or roller tip is required to prevent damaging the wire. The Twilli tip works just fine and is extremely easy to put on yourself.

19 strand is supposed to be much easier to work with and show weak spots before failure. I intend to switch upon respool. Put 1000 yards on no matter your choice.

Run lines through a rag in your fingers for tension to fill tightly.

Fill one reel, tie on mono backer, and fill to full. Tie mono backer to other empty matching reel. Zero counter. Wind on mono. Write down #. Wind on wire. Fill original reel with appropriate amount of backer using noted #. Any mono will do in the 20 to 40# range. Anything laying around. It's to prevent wire slipping on spool. Your in big trouble if you ever see it while actively fishing. [emoji44]

Okuma Convector 30's and Daiwa Sealine 47s work fine for me. Friends with 30 Coldwaters like those. Everyone loves Tekotas, they last forever.

We use 10' dipsy rod on outside 3 dipsy and 8' rod on inside mag dipsy.

• Like 2

with only 3-4 weekends a year and your requested budget thought, I would add a coupke thoughts.  In my experience if using 19 and only fish a few times a year then no tip / roller will be needed.    If fishing a lot or using 7 strand then I agree completely with above.  I agree though with above that a twill tip will be all you need and they are under $10 and take literally 3 min to install

Again if not fishing much then you can get away with cheaper reels but IMO shimano tekota 600s are the only way to go.   Top of the line.  Okuma are junk, again in my opinion   Too many drag issues for what you pay.  Once drag upgrades are done then they are okay, but you will lose fish with them due to jerky drags

19 strand is a bit easier to use with less kinks but I have found fraying issues with the 19 as of lately so am moving to 7 again.  

Last thing that you will not find much disagreement with.   You will never regret going to wire    Just be sure to hold on tight