Looking for advice, selling Grady white

As some of you know, last summer my boat went down... was a whole thing as you can imagine. Long story short, I ended up buying a 1988 Grady white 21’ overniter on a steal of a deal, in pristine condition. I had a 90hp 2017 Mercury four stroke in my previous boat. I just had it checked out by the mechanic and he went through it and brought it back to normal form. I’d like to put it on my Grady.

here’s my problem. I’m not sure I’m going to keep the boat. In fact, I’m leaning on selling it. The question is, is the 175hp original 2 stroke that’s currently on the Grady from factory more attractive to a potential buyer than my 90 that’s been through an accident. Let’s assume the compression test checks out. 

let me know what kind of questions I can answer to get some better informed input. Breaks my heart but I may have fallen out of love with the sport for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the merc was $13,000 with everything (controls, merc monitor, professional install, etc) so if it is indeed back to 100%, I’d think it is more worthwhile than the 175 apart from speed. It has 300 hours on it, which 98% of that is trolling. 
the 175 is in great shape. Took it for a drive when I bought it and it didn’t miss a beat. I’m just not a fan of two strokes’ noise, fuel consumption, and reliability. 

Edited by Offshore IV
  • Like 1

Just did a quick search of that model. Max HP is 230 and dry weight is 2550.

The 175 was probably the standard factory option, while the 230 was likely twin 115's upgrade. Essentially 90 HP is half or less of what the hull is rated for.

I would think your only potential buyer would be someone that never wants to get on plane with any gear or people on board, will only putt around a small lake and is aware of the danger in doing anything different with it so underpowered.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

As already stated, keep the 175 on the boat. I would not have bought my 22ft aluminum Crestliner Sabre if someone had a 90hp motor on it, no matter how new the 90 was. The 1989 Evinrude 150 that is on my Sabre needed a tuneup, which I was happy to pay for, but she runs like a champ every season.

Edited by Todd in NY