Purchasing new boat HELP!

So I am looking to purchase a new boat and it is really difficult trying to pick! I think I have it down  to three boats to choose from.  The LUND IMPACT SS 1850, CRESTLINER FISHHAWK 1850 and ALUMACRAFT TOURNAMENT PRO 185.  All equipped with vinyl floors, Jump seats, 9.9 kicker and 150 PRO XS motor.  What are your thoughts in these three brands?? Obviously the Lund is the most expensive (5k more than Alumacraft and almost 10k more than the Crestliner).  I'm only making this purchase once so I want quality over cost.  Any advice appreciated, thanks!

The nicest multi-species aluminum fishing boat I've seen in the 18' range is the Ranger VX 1788DC. It's the only 18' aluminum boat I'm aware of with a 102" beam. It also features a wood-free hull construction which, in my opinion, is hugely important down the road if you're planning on keeping the boat for a long time - no rotten floors or transom to deal with. I think they start about 43K with a Merc 150 and trailer.

If your willing to drive talk to Terry at Waconda boats 785-545-3545. They are a high volume Lund dealer. I drove out and picked up a 2020 Tyee. I thought it was worth it. Feel free to PM Meir you got any questions.

2 hours ago, njg0621 said:

What fiberglass boat? Honestly I f'ed up and built a garage with a 8ft door and not 12ft otherwise I'd prolly have a center console

I f-ed up as well, all it takes is a carpenter and some money.

What would you guys recommend looking at as far as Glass boats? I would want something comparable to the boats I listed.  I never hear anyone talk about the Ranger 1850MS, Nitro etc. deep V multispecies glass boats, why is that? I figure the glass boat would run a lot nicer than the aluminum.  

Im not dead set on anything really I just want to buy the right boat that I won't want to replace in the next 10yrs

I realize I'm sorta in a poverty stricken class by myself but personally I feel like my money needs to be working for me so I have always invested it instead of having it tied up in a 50K+ fishing boat or worse paying gobs of interest on a boat loan that looks like a mortgage. It's true buying a used boat is a pain in the ass but seriously; you cant even get a boat that is as well built as they were 20 years ago. My advice:  Wait untill late summer/fall and thent ry and find a solid used 20-22" aluminum deep v outboard. That kind of boat will work for anything, tows easy & trolls cheap. Fishing is supposed to be fun and if its too rough for that kind of boat , do you really wanna be out there?  So IMHO: Put your $ towards your retirement and enjoy more time fishing...

i have a 1990 islander 221 and love it but it is like a bobber on the water compared to a heavier glass boat for sure. it will handle some pretty foul weather though.

The Lund 18.5 would be my first chose ; how much trailering will you be doing and with what vehicle ? Those who suggest fiberglass usually focus on better cruising and a more stable platform on the water ! Everyone still has to pick their days ! I would also look at a Yamaha engine but the Lund probably comes as a package ?

I basically trailer the boat everywhere.  I troll browns in the spring at Ontario (3 1/2hrs), Jig Perch Laker late spring in Lake George (1 1/2hrs). Bass fish and troll walleyes at a bunch of lakes in between.  Fish Stripers on the Hudson in May.  

Right now from what I have seen I really Like the Lund Impact 1875 with the 150 Pro XS.  Something like the Striper Fiberglass boat I really don't think would fit my needs as much.  If I primarily just trolled big water than yes it would but Honestly I primarily just troll browns in the spring and walleyes sometimes.  I do a lot of vertical jigging and casting as well using a bow mount trolling motor which I wouldn't have on that striper.

The Lund Impact, Alumacraft Trophy and Crestiner Fish Hawk all look sweet though, it's tough to make the decision.  Like I was saying before and no one commented...What about these fiberglass boats like the ranger 1880MS? These boats look like they have all the options of the Aluminums and I would think they offer a better ride.  Anyone ever been in one?

https://www.rangerboats.com/fiberglass/multi-species/angler/1880ms.html

Let's not forget when purchasing a bigger glass boat, now you need to get a bigger heavier truck to pull it.

We pull a 25 with a v6 half ton. 3.55’s or better good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have the Alumacraft Navigator (predecessor to the Competitor)  and my friend has the Impact.    In my opinion they are equal. The Lund is no better.   The Alumacraft Trophy is more in line with the Crestliner Superhawk than the Fishhawk though.

I agree with your thinking that a 21 ft glass boat is not the best fit for your application. 

6 hours ago, njg0621 said:

I basically trailer the boat everywhere.  I troll browns in the spring at Ontario (3 1/2hrs), Jig Perch Laker late spring in Lake George (1 1/2hrs). Bass fish and troll walleyes at a bunch of lakes in between.  Fish Stripers on the Hudson in May.  

Right now from what I have seen I really Like the Lund Impact 1875 with the 150 Pro XS.  Something like the Striper Fiberglass boat I really don't think would fit my needs as much.  If I primarily just trolled big water than yes it would but Honestly I primarily just troll browns in the spring and walleyes sometimes.  I do a lot of vertical jigging and casting as well using a bow mount trolling motor which I wouldn't have on that striper.

The Lund Impact, Alumacraft Trophy and Crestiner Fish Hawk all look sweet though, it's tough to make the decision.  Like I was saying before and no one commented...What about these fiberglass boats like the ranger 1880MS? These boats look like they have all the options of the Aluminums and I would think they offer a better ride.  Anyone ever been in one?

https://www.rangerboats.com/fiberglass/multi-species/angler/1880ms.html

I'll give you this.  I had a Starweld 18 Pro and went to a Fishmaster 196.  I fished for years in a 23 sportcraft with my father.  It was a big boat.  Time passed, I started back with aluminum but wanted bigger but knew i had a line on how much effort to deal with a glass boat in size from towing ease to launching etc.   I like the extra width and higher freeboard which took me where I went and i like the aluminum lower weight and ease IMO of launching and traveling with less weight, better fuel economy etc.  I fish by myself sometimes which was a factor for me.   I'd rather a glass boat for displacement when fishing in rougher waters and issues of an aluminum in potential corrosion issues and inlayed wood floor "wet" issues.  Alumacraft and Crestliner are top brands...Lund is too and perhaps better resale from name but I don't know if its a lot.  Crestliners especially seem well thought of.  I feel like Lund likes themselves a bit much (IMO) hence the price. I keep my boat dry as a bone and don't plan to keep it in the water for any length of time.  I feel like their quality has deminished from their original times.  If you stay aluminum, this is a layout (and admittedly price) issue again IMO.  Aluminum wise I would like some full aluminum boats like west coast designs and some Crestliners but that comes with cost.  If new, how will you treat it?  If used, how was it treated...will you know, will you worry? No wrong answers 

I had a 16 foot Alumacraft Dominator with a 90 horse Honda. It was a good boat, but I wanted something bigger. After a lot of research I went with a Skeeter MX 1825, which was their multi-species boat. It is not longer produced but they do offer a similar model, the Solera. It was reasonable compared to other glass boats, I think it was around 38,000 with a Yamaha F150 and a Minnkota Terrova 80 with iPilot and Ilink.

It is not great at/in: Big water, setting up for trolling, more than three people.

It is good at: NOT getting blown around like an aluminum, smooth ride, fast, lots of storage, big livewell, casting and jigging, etc.

When I bought it at the (then) Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, there was a rep there from Yamaha, which owns Skeeter. He told me this boat would be much more stable than a comparable aluminum. This past fall I was at Oneida. My boat was docked where I was staying. There was a Crestliner right next to mine and we had a big blow. I realize then what he meant. The Crestliner was bobbing twice as high as my boat.

All in all it was compromise, but I am not looking back. I fish Oneida, Seneca, Keuka and Ontario. There is not perfect boat for the places I go and the way I fish. It worked out pretty well for me.

Just my 2 cents. I have been there.

Good luck.

Take a look at Tracker. I have a V18 Targa I bought in new in 2014. Came with a Verado 150. It fishes great in regular sized lakes (Lake George) but you do have to pick your days on some bigger water that is more prone to blowing up in the wind (Ontario, Champlain). Wide beam (101") and plenty of storage but it gets cramped with more than three guys. Top speed about 40mph. I bought rod holders, rigger mounts and bimini as well...all in about 36K. I even managed to convince my wife that it ia a family boat because it came with a screw in pole for water skiing! That hasn't been used yet :lol:

• Like 1