• 2 months later...

You're basically screwed without it. 

1) Nobody can register it without one

2) You can't prove there are no liens against the boat.

3) If the original owner on the title shows up asking for the boat back you have issues. 

Clean title is everything. You need the previous owner to provide it, or have them apply for a lost title. Be aware that the boat could still have liens shown on the title when you finally get it and they will still be in force unless you get a lien release from the lienholder. 

The title also needs to be signed over to you on the back to transfer ownership. The Bill of Sale isn't really a transfer of ownership, it's telling NYS how much to collect in sales tax when you register it. It's the signed title that transfers ownership. 

If I may ask, how did you come to have a boat with no title? 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Smth

There are a few few states, I think Maine is one of them, where a bill of sale is enough proof of ownership. So you can register it in one of those states and then transfer that to New York. Another way to do it is with help/advise from a marina owner. They claim boats when the owner does not pay the slip fee and/or abandons the boat. Marina owners can sell those boats without problems by filling out some paper work.

1 minute ago, rolmops said:

There are a few few states, I think Maine is one of them, where a bill of sale is enough proof of ownership. So you can register it in one of those states and then transfer that to New York. Another way to do it is with help/advise from a marina owner. They claim boats when the owner does not pay the slip fee and/or abandons the boat. Marina owners can sell those boats without problems by filling out some paper work.

I Sold that damn boat lol!!