Rebuild or repower my 2007 merc optimax 90hp

Well got the worst of news today. Major scoring on #3 cylinder plus all three gas pumps need to be replaced.

So at the rebuild or repower cross road. I know where my head is. So rebuild with pumps is looking like $5400. Repower is $9000-10000.

So with that being said any opinions?

The boat is a 2003 aluminum fish and ski in vg condition other wise. Any opinions on Merc vs Yamaha? 

90-115hp range. I bought this rig a couple of years ago.Any and all options/opinions are appreciated. 

If it were me and everything else checks out fine on the motor I'd be rebuilding. I love my 2002 135 Opti. Even with a brand new motor you never really know....I have had friends with motors much newer than mine and they had major problems and expenses. The technology underlying the Optimax has been around for sometime and I think any potential  bugs were worked out of them prior to 2007. When you are considering moving from 2 stroke to 4 stroke another mindset can take over though such as no oil/gas mixture to deal with, fewer fumes, less noisy; but whether that is worth 5 grand or so is another question.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

If you decide to rebuild and for considerably less, take a look at these guys. http://www.tenkillermarine.com/powerhead. There out in OK. Easy process to be dead honest. Use a local shop to take head off. Take off the electrical stuff. Bolt to a piece of plywood and ship it. Two weeks or so later you have a new power head. Have the same shop put it back together. Saved me a ton and less headaches.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

12 hours ago, trickworm33 said:

Well got the worst of news today. Major scoring on #3 cylinder plus all three gas pumps need to be replaced.

So at the rebuild or repower cross road. I know where my head is. So rebuild with pumps is looking like $5400. Repower is $9000-10000.

So with that being said any opinions?

The boat is a 2003 aluminum fish and ski in vg condition other wise. Any opinions on Merc vs Yamaha? 

90-115hp range. I bought this rig a couple of years ago.Any and all options/opinions are appreciated. 

What kind of warranty will you get from the rebuild?

11 hours ago, Frogger said:

If you decide to rebuild and for considerably less, take a look at these guys. http://www.tenkillermarine.com/powerhead. There out in OK. Easy process to be dead honest. Use a local shop to take head off. Take off the electrical stuff. Bolt to a piece of plywood and ship it. Two weeks or so later you have a new power head. Have the same shop put it back together. Saved me a ton and less headaches.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Do they offer a warranty on the remanufactured powerhead.

Thanks for all of your input much appreciated. After much consideration I have decided to repower. I was very lucky to be able to find a motor. Covid19 has handed dealers a huge blow trying to secure outboards for customers and boat sales. So a new 4 stroke Merc it is. It basically all boiled down to a 5 yr mfg.Warranty and

Some peace of mind. 

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give an update and thanks again. I did repower my boat. I was very fortunate or should I say extremely fortunate to find a new motor. Supply and distribution as well as new motors getting bought up last year have made new outboards very scarce. I went with a 115hp mercury 4 stroke. I must say im extremely happy so far with its performance. I just have to swap out to a different prop because im well under the rev limit with my 18p ss. The ease of maintenance on the new ones is definite plus.

• Like 1